time to play the "can you name this style by the pictures" game.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah... it's supposed to test our knowledge at least a bit, not be just a total random guessing game :)

And people need to quit with the hint that "it's lighter than the picture makes it look", for two reasons. One, it's not a hint so much as correcting a flaw in photography - if the picture could be taken properly, that "hint" wouldn't be needed. And two, they're ALL going to look a bit darker in the photo - and so it's not even remotely helpful to anyone aware of this fact. We should just consider this to be safely assumed (or noted alongside the picture, if you must), but a *real* hint would makes the game much more fun. Even if it's hellishly difficult and requires experience to even have a chance at correctly using the hint, at least it challenges our knowledge and experience rather than simply our ability to just rattle off anything with a reasonably close SRM.

yeah... It's supposed to test our knowledge at least a bit, not be just a total random guessing game :)

and people need to quit with the hint that "it's lighter than the picture makes it look", for two reasons. One, it's not a hint so much as correcting a flaw in photography - if the picture could be taken properly, that "hint" wouldn't be needed. And two, they're all going to look a bit darker in the photo - and so it's not even remotely helpful to anyone aware of this fact. We should just consider this to be safely assumed (or noted alongside the picture, if you must), but a *real* hint would makes the game much more fun. Even if it's hellishly difficult and requires experience to even have a chance at correctly using the hint, at least it challenges our knowledge and experience rather than simply our ability to just rattle off anything with a reasonably close srm.
speech! Speeeeeech mah brother!

My bad.

Maxam got it, pale ale.

Sheesh really? I was out of pics last time. Ok, so I'll post my dinner tonight (chicken wings with homemade jalapeno hot wing sauce). What you'll do is tell me what homebrew I am drinking with it. Sorry for changing pace, I'm just out of material here.
Screenshot2011-07-05at104743PM.png

Sheesh really? I was out of pics last time. Ok, so I'll post my dinner tonight (chicken wings with homemade jalapeno hot wing sauce). What you'll do is tell me what homebrew I am drinking with it. Sorry for changing pace, I'm just out of material here.
Screenshot2011-07-05at104743PM.png

Perhaps you can designate another to post a pic. Zwolle correctly guessed my pisner, which I posted earlier in error.

Still no takers.

Hint #2: The beer is probably clearer than it should be.

Reno_eNVy_446 said:
Darkest wit I've ever seen :D

Yeah... wasn't going to say anything, but the color + clarity made the picture extremely misleading.

Yeah this was one of my last extract batches. Hence the darker color. Also, poor lighting. And I used a Hefe yeast which I think dropped out a little more in the keg.

All sorts of curve balls.

alright. home from work and snapped a quick one:

4398-dsc00120.jpg

and for the hint: it's darker that the picture makes it look :D.

sorry emjay, couldn't resist. the color is as it appears, but i used the upside down yeast for this one.

FromZwolle said:
correct. i would also have accepted mexican lager.

Good combo of hints/picture. Considering what the hint was, I'm very surprised at all the guesses except for the one from, aptly enough, commonsenseman :D

That's what this game should be about though... knowledge, instead of random guessing. It was so spot on that I was actually damn confident about my answer :)

If you brewed that yourself, it also helps that you nailed the color, although Vienna malt is pretty distinctive!

I'll post one shortly... need to get some pictures and whatnot.

If you brewed that yourself, it also helps that you nailed the color, although Vienna malt is pretty distinctive!

i did indeed. it still needs a little more carbing, but it's tasty. now to leave it alone for a while... hopefully.

It's been over 24 hours since the last correct guess... I don't want this to fall off of people's "New Posts" lists so I'm going :D

0508111434.jpg

HINT #1: The main bittering/flavoring ingredient is not hops (though there is still a TINY amount of hops to allow it to be labeled as beer.)

Also, sorry it's a low-res pic from my phone. However, I will throw in the bonus that it's a bit hazy from the special ingredient.

Back