Pelican Case Control Panel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamCanFly

Reaction score
I've been thinking about how I'm going to build my control panel. When I built my stand, I built it so that I could roll it under my work bench. I've been thinking about getting one of those electrical enclosures and mounting it directly to the side of my stand. I don't really like that idea because I'm not a plumber or an electrician and leaks are a possibility. I think it would be cool to use a Pelican case for the control panel. Has anyone done this yet?
Here's my stand under the work bench.
IMG_20110611_194524.jpg

And here's a Pelican case with some sort of panel in it.
ddba.s0005.jpg

I love pelican cases. I use them for carrying my freefall videography equipment and they are awesome. That said, I think it is probably more than a little overkill. Price and durability both are much more than you need for a control panel.

If you look in the right places, you can find them cheap. Just scour Ebay. I have a 1200 case that I bought for no real reason that I might turn into a small control panel. It would only have the PID and switches, and I'd use some cat 5 to connect that to the SSR's, in another box, maybe under the top of the brewstand. I'd still have a 120v power cable for the PID, and an RTD wire. They sell premade panels that mount inside the case with a few set screws. That way I could make all the cuts in the panel, and not ruin a $50 case, just a $13 piece of plastic.

Yeah wh4tig0t, I've been watching Craigslist for the right case to come along. I just think It would be nice to have it in a rugged box that I can put anywhere in my garage and not worry about it.

You're gonna have to put heat sinks/fans in the box if you're putting in SSR's. It kinda defeats the waterproofness of the pelican. It's pretty cool idea though.

Storm Cases make a cheaper and a bit lighter case like the Pelicans.

Personally I'd just build the control panel and a separate case for it if you're worried. Or, if you really want, get a pelican with a pick-and-pluck insert and make a 'custom' case for the control panel.

B

You're gonna have to put heat sinks/fans in the box if you're putting in SSR's. It kinda defeats the waterproofness of the pelican. It's pretty cool idea though.

Storm Cases make a cheaper and a bit lighter case like the Pelicans.

Personally I'd just build the control panel and a separate case for it if you're worried. Or, if you really want, get a pelican with a pick-and-pluck insert and make a 'custom' case for the control panel.

B
That's a good point! I'm sure there's a way to overcome it. What if the SSRs were in the lid? That might work.
I may or may not end up doing this. I'm just having trouble finding a good enclosure for a descent price. Plus I have a lot of components to buy before I'm ready to put it all together.

Latest posts

Back