Is this efficiency right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabe

It's a sickness!
Reaction score
So I finally brewed my first AG yesterday and it was awesome! All the new equip worked great except my sparging if I am correct in my findings. When I tried to figure my efficiency it came out to 55%?:( Am I doing this right? Pre boil was 1.046 and total potential gravity was 83 gravity points. I ended up with 6.5 gal of 1.060. So 46 GU / 83 GU = .55 or 55% eff. I am a little dumbfounded by this and hope I am doing something wrong here. The bill was for an IPA with 15.5 # of grain. Please help.

Cheers

Post your recipe and I'll check it for you.
Or download brewsmith/promash or use www.recipator.com and let that work it out for you.

If your grain has a ppg of 1040 then you have 15.5*40/6.5
620 ppg/6.5 = potential of 95
You ended up with 60
so
60/90*100= 66% eff.

Mash effieciency depend on the volume preboil. if you had 7.5g at 1046 then

Don't forget the volume makes a big difference. Most potentials are stated for 5 gallon brews.

Any reason you're brewing 6.5 gallon(US) brews? That's standard for the UK but not that normal for the US.

I just run a basic test through recipricator and based on 15.5lb of 2 row malt, it gave run of 8 gallons at 1046 and 6.5 gallons at OG of 1060 to be 64% effec.

Expected for a first AG.....

Welll done.

Orfy that's what I ended up with at the end of my boil. I was shooting for 5.5. My pre boil vol was 8.5 gal. at 1.046. 90 min boil. my recipe was= 10 # 2 row, 3#vienna,.5# biscuit, 1# 10 crystal, 1# wheat malt.

So what your saying is I did it wrong! -----Thanks Orfy!! 1 ? though. How did you come up with 37 as total potential of the grains?

Gotcha. The crush was a little coarse as well. I took my OG reading at 70 deg so that will boost my eff a little.

Back