Keezer Questions - need help quickly

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking into building a keezer to go underneath the counter in my bar downstairs. Have found a 14.8 cu ft GE chest freezer on craigslist for $200. Looks fairly new so I think this is a good deal?

Also, I want to run a 3 keg system. 1 1/2 barrel and 2 5 gallon home brew kegs. I'm assuming these will fit but can you confirm that for me?

Finally... I had been eyeing up this 3 tap conversion kit on ebay, but i think this would better fit a kegging system in a refridgerator.

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-Tap-Kegerator...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item45ed52291a

I want to be able to run the taps up through the counter, you know, make it look like a real bar. Is my best bet to buy the additional pieces to add to this system or is there a better system out there to suit my needs?

Let me know... thanks!

It could be a little tough put that big of a chest freezer under your bar. Just from a practicality standpoint, you'll have to slide it out each time you need to adjust something inside or change out a keg, which means you'll probably need to mount wheels on the bottom. Space may also be a little tight behind a bar. Not saying it hasn't been done before. Alot of guys on here with freezers that big make them stand alone. I have a GE 14.8 that I converted and that is what I did. You can click on my profile for pics.

Unless you want to splurge and get 3 tap tower, you'll have to build some type of tap box on top of your bar to mount those taps. Keg Connection has the same kit for a little cheaper. Keep your eyes on craigslist for 3 tap towers. Best of luck.

Appreciate the information. What I really want is to have a tap, or two, or three right on the bar. It wouldn't make alot of sense to me to build something seperate because then, what would I use the bar area for? I have the bar counter, stools and a sink and a fridge behind it so I want to make good use of this are.

That being said the chest freezer, especially that big would be a bit difficult. I think I am going to have to go with a standard kegerator which opens at the side in order to make this work. That would be fine except I have been dreaming of atleast a 3 tap system, 1 of which would be a 1/2 barrel so that there is always some good non-home brew on tap to drink.

Any thoughts on this? If i get a standard kegerator I think the most I could do is a two tap system and have a tall 8 gallon keg along with a 5 gallon home brew keg. Doable, but I wanted a bit more!

If you really want to squeeze it under your bar, consider making the front of your bar open.... I mean, the side with the stools. You're almost always going to have more space on that side to open and slide out the keezer for barrel changes. Provided you plan ahead and only do it when nobody is there to drink. The space behind the bar is supposed to be cozy, and I fear that if you left enough space to pull the keezer out, open the lid, and still access it, it'd be in the middle of the room....

There's no reason you couldn't completely conceal the opening. And no reason the freezer has to face any one direction in particular.

As for fitting a barrel, make sure you measure the width. That's probably going to be your limiting dimension if any are, and at 16-17 inches wide, many (mine included) would be very tight for a commercial 1/2 barrel.

Back