Wine Rack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezter6

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone DIY'ed their own wine rack?

I'm looking to make one of those cube designs (box with an x through it) that's modular and stackable (ie: just putting boxes on top of each other).

Wondering if anyone has plans/ideas on how to go about it.

First, let me mention that I am NOT mechanically inclined, but I don't want to end up paying $30-50/box when each one only holds like 12 boxes....

I just made one myself.

I used THIS LINK as a basis for what I did. I didn't use dowels for the middle pieces, I just slotted out two middle boards, and interference fit them into the box (read: hammered them in good). In hindsight, the dowels probably would have been easier/cleaner looking, but since it's in my basement underneath the table with all of my aging beer bottles, I think it's OK.

Wow... Glad you posted that link to those plans. Was just about to drop over $120 for a wine rack. Looks like I'll be pulling out the old circular saw and getting two work. Thanks for the link!

While we're talking about it - maybe you handyman types would chime in.

Any way to make these look a little more "uppity" with some trim and such?

Speaking of price as well -- I looked up boards on Home Depot, looks like between $5-7 per board, 2 boards per box. This is mighty cheap to build up 2 or 3 of these.

I know it's not what you're looking for, but I thought it might give someone else an idea. My wife and I built this awhile back in our kitchen.

It's basically 2 shelves. The bottom has 3/4" trim glued across it to keep bottles from rolling, and there are wine glass holders suspended from the bottom of the top shelf. (Hope this doesn't hijack your thread).

winerackcopy.jpg

Whatever you decide to build, do it twice as big as you think you'll need. I have four racks that contain 20-120 bottles each and the one pictured below that contains 250-300 bottles. All are completely full and I still have two 20L barrels and three carboys bulk aging. I'm comletely out of room and I don't think the missus will allow a rack in the living room.

Cellar_5-22-08.JPG

summersoltice, that is quite possibly the most beautiful thing I have ever seen... It makes my heart go pitter pat when I see it. If you need any help emptying those bottles, just let me know :)

Back