How much would you pay for a fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miked918

Reaction score
How much is too much to pay for a fermenting system? Say for a 12-gallon capacity fermenter.

It could be stainless steel, or any type you prefer using or would want to use.

I work in public relations for a company that introduced a new stainless steel fermenter. Admittedly by the company, the fermenter on the higher end side when it comes to $$. But, from what I've learned, it's very high quality. So, maybe value-wise, it's worth it.

I'm not here to promote it (if you're curious, contact me), but I am interested in the top level you'd be willing to pay for a fermenter?

$300? $600? $1000? $1500? $2000?

While I have enjoyed homebrewed beer (thanks to my former brother in law) and micro brews, I know little about the craftsmanship and process. The dollar amounts above are semi-educated guesses from the fermenters I've seen advertised.

Thank you!

-- Mike

(Thanks Bird for seeking clarification. Hope the changes I made help.)

the_bird said:
I'll pay $20 for a carboy :D
Seconded.
Using the terms 'semi-educated guesses', 'I know little' and 'if you're curious contact me' means you need to realise that home brewing at 12 gallons means no need to spend huge money on SS Products for fermenting....

Very few homebrewers would be interested in your product. I certainly wouldn't pay more than $20, no matter what the craftsmenship. It's not the cost, I just spent $49,000 on a garage and got a good deal. SS just doesn't add any value in a fermenter. A kettle, yes, but $80 is all I needed to spend to meet my needs.

There are a few equipment freaks in homebrewing, but not many. If I may quote a Collaborator, "I spit on your high-tech systems."

Gotta remember, homebrewers as a whole have got to be the absolute cheapest hobbyists in the world. We spend half our time here, it seems, talking about how to convert scrapyard kegs into brew kettles. I'd love a stainless steel conical (I was just guessing that was what he was marketing), but I ain't gonna be buying one anytime soon, whether it's $200 or $2,000.

I just made one myself. 30 gallon capacity. Double walled with heating/cooling built in. Cost me 2 weekends and $50. The rest was all recycled junk.

dougjones31 said:
I just made one myself. 30 gallon capacity. Double walled with heating/cooling built in. Cost me 2 weekends and $50. The rest was all recycled junk.

You can't just drop that on us with out pictures and a write up man.
I'm so upset now, I can't work.

The home brewing crowd is definitely an enthusiastic one; but everyone who home brews knows that you definitely don't have to spend tons of money to brew good beer. It's also a crowd filled with very capable, crafty and intelligent, hands-on people who will refuse to blow money on something they can make themselves. If this is a stainless steel conical you're talking about, the crafty ones already know about companies like Toledo Metal Spinning who sell stainless steel hoppers (12.2 gallons for $170) that can easily be modified into a fermenter for probably an extra $100 to $150. Even at that, most will probably not spend the money as long as they feel like they're brewing good beer. Trust me, if your product is competive and good quality and the right price, I do like my toys and I might consider a purchase. Best of luck in your venture. Just my two cents (no pun intended).

dougjones31 said:
POST picts we all wonna see:mug:
and as for the other just let us know how much and what you got thats all

I will put together pics and details and post it soon. I am real busy right now.

I am lucky to have a Machinist as my neighbor. He has access to all types of scrap metal. Plus he can weld anything. His Plasma Torch is priceless when it comes to fabrication. I used simple heating elements and had a busted cooler that I found on the side of the road. It must have fell of a truck. I was glad to see that it had a cooling system that worked of of 12v dc. I encorporated that into the design. I have not tested the cooling effeciency yet. I am sure it will be enough to keep temps down @65, but I doubt I can lager in it.

Back