I wish to raise the ABV but need some help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipbr21054

Reaction score
Hi,
I am new to this so might not make sense but please be patient.

I have just transfered my cider from the bin to the barrell and now the bin is empty i am eager to start another brew.
I am using this brew budder lager which is 40 pints and should be ABV 4.5%.

I have a listing that briefly explains how to take the initial sg and the final sg and has a table showing the sugar content per gallon.It shows me the current sugar content of my batch and what the level of sugar should be for xx% ABV.
I should then add the difference of sugar to give the required alcohol content.
Stil with me so far ??

But it then shows that this is only possible when the final sg is 1.000
I am not sure what the final sg will be,so i read on and its now reads a more accurate method is to measure the initial sg and the final sg and to multiply the difference between the two figures "drop in gravity" by 129.

Getting the initial sg is not a problem but the final sg is that when the sg readings are constant for a couple of days ????.
How do i then add sugar to get the ABV up to say 6.5% as this list shows what to add providing the final sg is 1.000

Any help would be nice.

please post your recipe

there are many options to raise your ABV but some of them will change the taste of your brew

Welcome to HBT

I'm not familiar with your particular kit, but if you want to increase your ABV, I recommend malt extract instead of sugar. It will increase the gravity, and give the beer body and flavor that sugar will not. Adding malt extract without increasing the hops will change the balance of the beer, but that's something you can worry about after you have a few more brews under your belt. In the mean time, if you want a higher ABV beer, find a kit that has a higher starting gravity so you don't have to worry about reworking the recipe.

Recipe ?

I bought a Brewbuddy cider refil 1.8kg.

I have added 1.5kg sugar to the can contents.
Along with 5 pints boiling water to dissolve the mix
Then made up to 32 pints
1 packet of nutrient supplied with refil
1 packet of yeast supplied with refil

I just thought that as it should finish about 4.5% ABV might what something
around the 6% ABV mark.

Cheers

If your just looking to change the ABV add some sugar. It will ferment out leaving more alcohol however it doesn't add body so if you add too much you will end up with a gross tasting cider with far too much alcohol. Again post your recipe for more help! The recipe i used for the cider i have fermenting at the moment is 5 gal apple juice 2 pounds of CORN SUGAR (NOT WHITE CANE SUGAR) and champaign yeast for a 5 gallon batch.

All the corn sugar (dextrose) does is bump up the amount of sugars in solution for the yeast to eat resulting in more alcohol being produced. Hope this helps

EDIT: you posted your recipe right as i was typing :)

Personally i dont know what type of yeast you used but that is important also. Champaign yeast im using ferments down to .0998 or so. What yeast are you using?
Also since your doing about 4 gallon batch i would try adding a half a pound of sugar to it and see how it comes out. If you still need more nothing prevents you from adding again! Also make sure its complelty done fermenting before you pass judgement. Mines still going after a month so when you check gravity and get a reading also check a week later. If the numbers match then your done

I used the yeast that came in the kit but did not say what type it was.
Here is a link to what i have used.

http://www.homebrew4u.co.uk/brewing-instructions/brew-buddy-cider.asp

I think we have our wires crossed.
I had made cider which i have just put into my pressure barrell AND now i have bought the brew buddy lager.

The finished ABV should be around 4.5% but i thought i would get it up to say 6%.
So i have no initial sg yet as it is stil in the can.
I am asking before i start this kit how do i get the final sg is it when the sg readings are constant for a few days.
If so once i have the original sg and then the final sg what is the calculation to be done that tells me how much extra sugar i need to add to get it to the 6% ABV.

I wouldn't add anything to the kit (except maybe some dry malt extract if you have some) because adding extra fermentables will change the entire flavor of the kit. For example, the hops will be out of balance if you add malt extract. If you add sugar, you will boost the ABV, but change the profile of the lager and introduce cider-y flavors to it. Once you've made it a few times, then you may be more comfortable experimenting.

I know you'd like a higher ABV brew, but a good beer at 4.5% is way better than something barely drinkable at 6%.

Your FG is what the beer finishes at- and yes, it will stay the same over the course of several days or a week when it's finished.

sorry about that

speaking 2 different forms of english

I would add 250-500gms of light DME (dry malt extract)

anymore than that will throw off the flavor of your brew

Ok if i add what you advise what will happen to the lager.

Will it keep its flavour and raise the ABV from 4.5% to around 6%

If not please specify thanks

any additions to the kit will change the flavor

I would try to find a kit that has a higher ABV

instead of just adding things to what you already have

but if you do add to your kit do it lightly, small amounts will go a long way
in both ABV and flavor

in complete honesty I would just brew the kit the way it is

and then try this kit

http://www.homebrew4u.co.uk/homebrew-beer-kits/mild-ale-stout-wheat-barley-wine-kits/brewferm-wheat-beer-tarwebier.asp

the site that you but from has a great selection of kits that have a higher ABV
that you should be able to brew with the supplies that you already own

Back