Ebay temp controller issue -- help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sa1126

Reaction score
So...long story short. The digital ebay temp controller only works when the temperature is hot outdoors using a garage fridge. I had the temp set to 67 and all was good. A cold front came through and the ambient air temperature went to ~45 overnight and the temp control went to heat mode; the fridge didn't know what to do and started cooling again and is now about 40 degrees. My wort had been fermenting about a week or so and is now basically lagering in the primary.

What should I do? Pitch lager yeast? Bring it inside and warm it up? Rack it to a keg anyhow?

I'm betting that the tab on the side of your outlet didn't get snapped and you're firing both the hot and cold sides all the time...

I'm betting that the tab on the side of your outlet didn't get snapped and you're firing both the hot and cold sides all the time...

Yep. If you don't break the connection tab on the "hot" wire (black) side of the outlet, it will certainly do that.

Are there any pics I can refer to to fix it?

Is there any saving this batch? :(

p_SCW_187_03.jpg

If you fermented for a week at 67, fermentation might be complete. Check the gravity. If the gravity is still high you can warm it up slowly. Fermentation should start back up. You might have to shake the carboy to make the yeast suspended after warmed up. I store yeast at 40 degrees all the time and it is still good, it just makes it go dormant.

Are there any pics I can refer to to fix it?

Is there any saving this batch? :(

No worries. You didn't kill the wee yeasties. You just put them to sleep.

Warm it up to 68-70*F for a day or two then give it a swirl to rouse the yeast. Let it sit for another week then take a gravity reading.

Thanks guys. I will get this taken care of this evening.

Will clipping that piece prevent this from happening again?

Thanks guys. I will get this taken care of this evening.

Will clipping that piece prevent this from happening again?

Yes. It will separate the two outlets so that one plug powers up the fridge/freezer in cooling mode and the other plug will activate a heat source when needed.

Latest posts

Back