Clearing in the primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GMA

Reaction score
I began a Brochet last Saturday and so far I have had what I would call a normal ferment. My primary is a one gallon glass carboy and when I checked it this morning I found that my mead is already clearing. This is not normal in my (limited) experience. Is this anything I should worry about? When I rack into my secondary should I leave behind the sediment or stir it back in? That seems like a silly question but I have never had a ferment settle so quickly and I didn't know if I would need that yeast to fully finish the fermentation. Thanks for the help.

I'd probably let the mead finish then rack.

Batches that have been boiled tend to clear quickly in my experience. The boiling denatures all the proteinaceous material and it drops out much faster.

Medsen

I did a batch of Bochet with that exact yeast myself two years ago. As far as I remember it clarified real quick (3-4 weeks). I let it sit till my hydrometer read .997 and then racked. I think this yeast is a bottom fermenter, and when I use it it works real quick. If you used nutrient I wouldn't be suprised if it finished down below 1.000 in as little as 4-6 weeks.

2ndGenBrewer said:
I did a batch of Bochet with that exact yeast myself two years ago. As far as I remember it clarified real quick (3-4 weeks). I let it sit till my hydrometer read .997 and then racked. I think this yeast is a bottom fermenter, and when I use it it works real quick. If you used nutrient I wouldn't be suprised if it finished down below 1.000 in as little as 4-6 weeks.

I pitched on 11/4 with an OG of 1.086. Today I measured and I'm at 1.010 so this is moving along. I had not used this yeast or done a Brochet before so I'm glad my results are not outside the normal range. Thanks for the help.

Back