Pitched yeast maybe too warm?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mainebrew

Reaction score
I put my brew together and pssobly pitched the yeast @ around 95 degrees, is this a problem? I can not remember when yeast will go bad, I think it is around 105 degrees. Anyway this is my first batch and I am not going to sweat it but, if this yeast was too warm at pitching can I pitch it again within 24hrs?

Thanks

See what happens. That's all you can do.

Repitching is fine, but I'd wait more than 24 hours. It can take up to 72 hours for fermentation to start.

You didn't kill the yeast, but that is a pretty high temperature. The worst that will happen is you might get some funky flavors from the high temperature if the yeast starts fermenting before the wort gets below 70 degrees.

Next time, wait until 70 degrees or lower- the yeast will perform better and have no fusel alcohols or excessive esters. What that means is just better taste.

It depends on the kind of brew you're making. You also may not get all the power out of the yeast.

I did this to a nut brown ale. The taste was overpowering with molasses due to the temp of wort when I pitched the yeast. It was a nut brown so it was drinkable at least.

If you're looking at a light lager you're prolly going to have some clashing flavors.

Mainebrew - It should not be a major problem, just don't do it again. (Baadd, berry berry bad.)

Thanks again guys, all looks good as of 3:30 am this morning I had a mushroom cloud of bubbles and the air lock was bubbling. Again at 6:30am when I left for work all looked good.

I did the exact same thing on my first batch of beer last weekend. It seemed to ferment just fine and yesterday the SG was down to the point I was expecting. I will bottle and wait it out to see how it ends up tasting. I shall drink it no matter what...serves me right for not following good advice!

Back