Weizenbock - Vitus clone (Extract/PG)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nukesquad

Reaction score
I am looking for to brew a weizenbock. I really enjoy the Weihenstephaner Vitus (as do many others), and I am looking for a recipe that goes in that particular direction (not necessarily a clone). I am currently in my 5th batch, only extract brews with specialty grains, and I'm looking for a recipe in the same area. Any info would be helpful.

i also have considered cloning the vitus, considering it the best weizenbock out there (although aventinus is pretty delicious as well)

the thing to consider with vitus is the very, very light color- a rarity among weizenbocks

i'd start with extra light and wheat extracts, and look to a hallertau variety for hops

use beersmith and the alcohol content on the bottle to determine your OG and ingredients

stick to the style guidelines for bitterness, and i'd say you have a good starting point

ps-download a fully functional 21-day free trial of beersmith online- you'll love it if you dont already

I agree with the aventinus assessment. I wouldn't mind getting a recipe for that as well.

I will also look into the beersmith trial as well.

weird, but ive been doing a ton of searching and can't seem to find a clone for this one

let me know what you come up with- im going to buy a bottle, take the FG, and then work backwards from there...

When I get home, I'll pull up the extract w/ specialty grains recipe I first used. I loved it so much it was one of the first AG batches I did.

I appreciate you willing to post up the extract/specialy grains recipe. I'm coming back in to town in the next couple of days, and I wanted to get started once I got home.

how is this doppelbock anything like Vitus? Oh b/c it has wheat in it?

you are linking a beer that is totally different from the one in the thread, and not to mention, it is not even from the same brewery. I don't understand why you posted that link...especially when that's all you posted.

Here are some spec's I can contribute about the beer. I believe Vitus is considered to be a South German-Style Weizenbock/Weissbock - on the very pale end of the spectrum. Some specs from a great book about wheat beers...

OG: 1.068
FG: 1.009
ABV: 7.7%
SRM: 6
IBU: 17

Vitus has quite a high attenuation - about 86% - which I can see will be a bit of a challenge to clone. From what I've read Weihenstephan does decoction mashing in most of their brews. Unfortunately, I've never done any decoction mashing but their is a great article in Zymurgy (May/June 2010) on page 34 entitled, Brewing Wheat Beer with Intensive Banana Aroma, that really gets into how to utilize decoction to pinpoint the right kind of flavors and smells. From what I recall, Vitus has a big banana nose to it.

For a malt bill I would be thinking at least 50% wheat, with the rest being composed of pilsner malt, light munich and/or vienna. I would lean more towards the latter two b/c from what I remember the taste of Vitus was a bit spicy and bready - slightly sweet upfront with a dry finish. I would avoid using any crystal malts b/c you really want this to be as fermentable as possible while still lending some complexity to the taste.

My first shot at the recipe...

6 Gallon Batch
OG: 1.068
FG: 1.009
ADF: 86%
ABV: 7.88%
SRM: 6.8
IBU: 17

7 lb 5.6 oz Wheat Malt, Pale (2.0 SRM - Wayermann) 50%
4 lb 6.5 oz Light Munich Malt (7.1 SRM - Wayermann) 30%
2 lb 15 oz Vienna Malt (3 SRM - Wayermann) 20%

Mashing: I haven't got a clue yet but it will most likely be a schedule that will focus on high fermentability and creation of compounds to develop banana flavors/aromas - i really need to reread that article.
Edit: Probably just scratch the idea of a step mash and do a 90 minute rest at 145 F and mashout at 165 F. If, after the first attempt, I'm not getting enough banana I will go back and look into a more complex mashing schedule.

Boil: 60 minutes
1 oz Hallertau (4.8% aa) @ 60 minutes - 17 IBU

Yeast: Wyeast 3638, Bavarian Wheat (A Weihenstephan strain). I would probably ferment about 67-68 F - maybe ramp the temperature up slightly near the end to eke out as much attenuation as possible.

After this I would either cold crash in secondary for a month or so, or if I wanted to be more like Weihenstephan I would get a hold of some lager yeast and referment the beer in bottles at a lower temp like 50 F or so and continue to hold that temp for a month or two.

Being that Nukesquad said that "I am looking for a recipe that goes in that particular direction (not necessarily a clone)" and that he is "currently in my 5th batch, only extract brews with specialty grains, and I'm looking for a recipe in the same area."

Moreover, Whisler85 said "i also have considered cloning the vitus, considering it the best weizenbock out there (although aventinus is pretty delicious as well)."

It's an easy kit, ready to order. If you'd read the string, you'd find reason not to be a grouch.

Ah gotcha man - i apologize i had quite a few beers before that post - i really came off like a ******.

Back