Magic Hat HEX (my new favorite beer)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon3

Reaction score
Yes, I searched, yes there is a thread, but it starts out bashing this beer as a BAD oktoberfest(marzen).

It really isn't similar to most oktoberfest, but when you get down to it, most oktoberfests are pretty different from each other.

Labeled as an "ourtoberfest" I took the name "HEX", and the description "Our take on a robust and flavorful beer....chaotic ingredients....experimentation.....etc." to mean something other than a mild lager.

I think it is best described as the BEST BEER SINCE DEAD GUY.......

It may be borrowed from rogue a bit, but DAMN!!!!

This beer slaps my tongue around and leaves a pleasant burn in my belly that no beer has in a while.

Not since arrogant bastard have I been so pleasantly surprised when a beer stands up and screams in my face.

I'm opposite of you, I found it to be a little bland. I think my issue is more with the style and not with HEX itself. I just haven't found a oktoberfest beer that I have really enjoyed.

It is NOT an oktoberfest.

I will give you that the labelling should be a little better.

Bland? Wow.

As a dedicated hop head, snpa is sooooooooooooooo bland now.

If HEX is bland, SA oktoberfest will taste like water.

Not sure but we must be talking different beers.

sounds interesting, but i don't think i could bring myself to spend money on another magic hat product.

Yeah......can I change the title?lol.

The fact that the label says "OURTOBERFEST, chaotic ingredients, (dammit, I don't even think it is a lager) etc.,etc....

Why would you think "tame, typical marzen"?

FORGET OKTOBERFEST.

This is one of those "eye opening" brews.

My "Epiphany Moment" beers have been (chronologically):
Stone Ruination
Rogue Dead Guy
Stone Arrogant Bastard
Vertical 080808
Schlafly Kolsch
MH Hex

Well it says on the label "3/4 pint of ale". They also don't call it OCTOBERFEST. They also give a description of this beer that is nothing close to what octoberfest/marzen really is. So i`d guess its more of a "mocktoberfest", which is great for homebrewers who like it and don't have a lagering stup e). To me its a great beer. I'm glad its made as an ale, since it will be a little easier to brew something close. Id buy it again for sure. To me, most true octoberfests (that I've tried) have a slight metallic taste which really turns me off, so finding a good one has been tough. But in brewing, I try to make a beer that I like to drink, instead of brewing a beer that conforms to a strict style

I am one of the disagreers in this case...I have not had a magic hat I have enjoyed in the last 4 years and this was no exception.

To me all their beers taste like they want to be dogfish head...but fail miserably. By this I mean that they love to play around with very uncommon ingredients, but time and time again they come up with a beer I can't even finish drinking

According to what they list on their site as ingredients, I. Didn't find any that id consider "very uncommon" except for maybe apollo. I`m certainly no pro or connoseur of ingredients, but I do read a ton of recipes. We all have beers we don't like and we have beers we like. I like MH beers and I like DFH beers. That's where similarities end, for me. The last time I had a beer I refused to finish was Sam Adams imperial white, which was more like cough syrup than beer. And that's having tried possibly a couple hundred different beers since I started brewing(summer 2k9). Again, I'm no pro, but I like this stuff.

The roasty character in a light beer is unusual IMHO, and all else aside, this beer made me sit up and take notice.

Doesn't happen too often.

*The magic hat beers I have had before SUCKED, I was by no means predisposed to like this beer*

I forgot to add that everything I posted was purely my opinion and I don't think less of anyone for liking magic hat haha. Cheezy, at least we can agree on dead guy :tank:

cheezydemon3 said:
:mug:

Didn't realize it was out yet this year!

It's not been in Memphis before. I was walkin around downtown and found a hole in the wall I'd never been in before, and the beer coolers were full of great beers. Several I've not seen in this area before. Definitely going back to have another hex and try some more new beers!

It's fall already! My first time trying Hex and I loved it, enough to search it on HBT. Hopefully I won't be disappointed with my Oktoberfest in the next couple of weeks. It's nice that they list all of the ingredients on the magic hat website. I may just have to try adding some cherry wood smoked malt or apollo hops to my next batch. I've never used a smoked malt before (or tasted a beer with smoked malt that I know of), but I imagine that's what's giving this some of the unique flavor. Last time I picked up such a great beer was Lagunitas Lucky 13 .alt.

Can't believe I passed it up for some SA Oktoberfest the other night!!(not that the SA isn't fantastic also)

will pick some up.

Had SA Oktoberfest last night, very bland. Much different than in the past when it was always one of my favorites.

Hate to hear that. I noticed last year it was a little off, and haven't grabbed it yet because it's still 90+ degrees here and not in that mood yet. It was always one of my favorites.

Just realized the orignal post was a couple of years old. Need more coffee

Hate to hear that. I noticed last year it was a little off, and haven't grabbed it yet because it's still 90+ degrees here and not in that mood yet. It was always one of my favorites.

We had sopme FREAK weather, record hot July (105F, 107F) and then in August, suddenly a week of 85 or less, COOL nights and mornings.....suddenly I HAD to have some SAOktoberfest!!

It was fantastic.

Latest posts

Back