Trub taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erikrocks

Reaction score
I've been brewing since October, and I feel like my beers--though they come out pretty well--seem to have a strong "trub" smell/taste. Like, when I pour myself a draft and take a whiff, and then a swig, it smells/tastes just like the trub that's left after I rack from kettle to primary.

Here's my process: All grain, Coleman X-Treme MLT, aluminum boil kettle, heatstick+propane burner, copper immersion chiller, stainless kegs at 40 degrees.

I usually leave the wort in the primary for about 2 weeks before I rack to a keg. I'll then hit it with serving pressure and wait another 2 weeks until I drink.

So, my question is...what's going on here? Is this a green taste? Should I leave it in the primary longer? Or should I leave it in the keg longer? Weird stuff, for sure...

See, it's weird...I guess it could be classified as yeasty. The best description is that it just smells/tastes like the trub that's left after you rack. Is it autolysis?

Does the taste stick around for the entire keg? The keg pours from the bottom, so anything, yeast, proteins, grain particles, hop bits, in the beer slowly settle out on the bottom of the keg. I find that it usually takes about 2 weeks and sometimes longer for all of that to settle out.

I will put the keg on tap and pull a couple ounces off every couple days. After a couple weeks it's clear and tastes fine.

I've never actually tasted the trub and all my trubs smell different. I've had trubs that smell just like fresh beer, pure yeast, and egg farts. What are your fermentation temperatures? What yeasts are you using? You said "trub that's left after you rack from kettle to primary." Are you talking about the break material after you boil?

I know what your talking about. I made a IPA about four months ago that had that same smell and taste. It tasted exactly like the hops and proteins left in the kettle from brewing. The only thing that I could think of was that I drained the wort from my ball value into primary( I did strain it). After that experience I will not be doing that again. Very strange?

Back