Where is Pliny?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IHateMayonnaise

Reaction score
I made a thread here about a month ago regarding a beer tasting party I would be having on my Birthday in April -- got a lot of great advice and so far my beer list is quite impressive. I am missing Pliny the Elder, unfortunately. How can I have a beer party without it?? I have been calling several locations nearly each day for the past month to no avail. I even emailed the owner of Russian River (Vinnie) who could not help me.

I am currently in Kansas, but my sister lives between Eugene and Portland, and I have a lot of family in LA and some friends at Berkeley -- does anyone know where this beer is in stock? I mean getting a hold of the Westvleteren 12 and the Guinness Special Export was nothing compared to this slippery beer.

Cheers,
IHateMayonnaise

You can get it on tap and in the bottle in Denver, CO. I am going to be heading to Denver/Ft. Collins in the not to distant future and plan on picking up a case when I am down there. If you can't get ahold of any within the next few weeks PM me. Montanaandy

I've recently picked some up at the Whole Foods on the corner of 4th and Harrison in downtown SF. Not sure if that helps or not.

I you have contacts near/in LA, stone distributes russian river beers in so cal, so just find out where they supply that is near your contact.

How do I figure out where they distribute to?

You can get it on tap and in the bottle in Denver, CO. I am going to be heading to Denver/Ft. Collins in the not to distant future and plan on picking up a case when I am down there. If you can't get ahold of any within the next few weeks PM me. Montanaandy

Where in Denver? Perhaps they can send me some directly. Everywhere I've called so far sells out in less than 24 hrs or so. And my party is three weeks from today (April 9th & 10th), but thanks for the offer. If I had time I would just drive the 9 hours to Denver..but alas, life as a grad students contains little extra time.

I've recently picked some up at the Whole Foods on the corner of 4th and Harrison in downtown SF. Not sure if that helps or not.

Only relative in SFO is underage :(

You could have gotten it from South Bay Drugs like yesterday, they are out now.

It is hard to get in Portland, so if that's your best bet you'll need some luck.

The problem is that they only ship it once a month and in quantities so that it sells quickly in each market (that's the point, it is always fresh). You need to find a place the sells it, ask when they get their shipment, and get down there that day.

It is easiest to get around the Bay Area, I would make a friend there if your really want one in three weeks.

First thing I thought of....

wheres-pliny.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Is that SB Liquor & Drugs in Imperial Beach??? I stopped by last Sunday and there was none to be had. I'd hate to hear I missed it by a day :eek:

Yeah, it was on the website earlier this week. I assume they sell it all in a day because of all the web business they do (internet orders are limited to 2).

To the peeps looking for Pliny in Denver, Lukas Liquors in Lone Tree had it in stock last weekend. You can find them on the Google, but it's about 1/2 mile west of I25 off County Line Road on Yosemite. Whew. The bottles are in the Bomb Shelter at the back of the store. I'll take a look there tomorrow...

Argonaut liquors in Denver usually has PTE. Go to the Russian River website and there are 23 listings for PTE distributors in the Denver metro area. Montanaandy

Only places in CO that have it are (yes, I called all of them): Liquor Max in Loveland, who has 17 bottles, and also Davidson's in HIghland Ranch. Neither will ship. My state is not on the black list. Yes I begged.

I left my number with about 15 other places..hopefully something will turn up!!!

Have you tried it previously? It's good, but IMO doesn't live up to the hype. I've had a few people tell me to try Pliny the Younger, though, which I haven't found yet.

Have you tried it previously? It's good, but IMO doesn't live up to the hype. I've had a few people tell me to try Pliny the Younger, though, which I haven't found yet.

Nope never had it. I am trying to get "the best" in each catagory, and apparently Pliny the Elder wins the cake. Pliny the Younger is only kegged, not botted, but apparently it's better.

C'mon!! Nothing?!?!

Nope :(

I left my name and number with so many places that I'm sure someone will get it in and call me..I'll probably start calling up the philly locations tomorrow.

I've seen it at the Whole Foods in downtown Portland.

I called them recently, when did you see it?

I've seen it at quite a few of the Market of Choices in the Eugene area lately. They are up and down the valley between Eugene and Portland and may be able to have your sister pick some up for you. You could call them and see if they still have some.
http://www.marketofchoice.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=114&Itemid=24

Pliny the Younger is superior but extremely hard to find on tap.

I called Market of Choice (all of them) in Eugene recently, when did you last see it?

Only places in CO that have it are (yes, I called all of them): Liquor Max in Loveland, who has 17 bottles, and also Davidson's in HIghland Ranch. Neither will ship. My state is not on the black list. Yes I begged.

I left my number with about 15 other places..hopefully something will turn up!!!

That list on RR isn't even remotely accurate. Pliny is getting so common in CO, it's hard to find a decent sized liquor store that doesn't carry it. I do a lot of business with Parker Payless in Parker and asked them to start carrying RR last year and I've never seen 'em out of Pliny since. Dunno about shipping however...

Is that SB Liquor & Drugs in Imperial Beach??? I stopped by last Sunday and there was none to be had. I'd hate to hear I missed it by a day :eek:

if you ever want it in a bottle, just go to Mazara Trattoria on Juniper and 30th in South Park. they always have it and Blind Pig. honestly, I've never gone there to find it's sold out. on the off the chance it is, just go down 30th a few blocks and stop by Hamilton's. they almost always have it on tap.

if you ever want it in a bottle, just go to Mazara Trattoria on Juniper and 30th in South Park. they always have it and Blind Pig. honestly, I've never gone there to find it's sold out. on the off the chance it is, just go down 30th a few blocks and stop by Hamilton's. they almost always have it on tap.

Also, Par Liqueur on Clairemont Dr has it, but's it's not always the freshest.

I made a thread here about a month ago regarding a beer tasting party I would be having on my Birthday in April -- got a lot of great advice and so far my beer list is quite impressive. I am missing Pliny the Elder, unfortunately. How can I have a beer party without it?? I have been calling several locations nearly each day for the past month to no avail. I even emailed the owner of Russian River (Vinnie) who could not help me.

I am currently in Kansas, but my sister lives between Eugene and Portland, and I have a lot of family in LA and some friends at Berkeley -- does anyone know where this beer is in stock? I mean getting a hold of the Westvleteren 12 and the Guinness Special Export was nothing compared to this slippery beer.

Cheers,
IHateMayonnaise

If you dont end up finding it let me know, its actually carried by 6 places (despite only listing 2 on their website) here in the beer capital of the US (Fort Collins).

I saw it last week sometime. I should be down sometime this week and will see if it is still there.

I'll call all of them today, as soon as I get out of class.

Also, Par Liqueur on Clairemont Dr has it, but's it's not always the freshest.

I am okay with that.

If you dont end up finding it let me know, its actually carried by 6 places (despite only listing 2 on their website) here in the beer capital of the US (Fort Collins).

Can you give me the names of the places so I can call? pleeeeease :)

Can you give me the names of the places so I can call? pleeeeease :)

Places I have bought it personally:

Wilbors
Supermarket Liquors (they have basically anything you can think of)
Fabby's (where I typically buy it)
Fish's

Supposedly also carried by a few others, though I have never bought anywhere else.

Back