No idea how to use my draft system.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluedragoon85

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to keg my first 5 gallon batch, but I don't seem to get this to work. I already attached the regulator, made sure it was on the off position and opened the cylinder valve. I connected everything to the keg and set the PSI on the regulator to about 5-8 psi. I turned the valve on the hose, and nothing. There's no pressure in the keg. This is the system I got. Is there something I'm missing? sorry I just really have no clue and I already followed the instructions that came with the regulator.

EDIT: GOt it to work. I didn't do anything differently, after I shut the cylinder off and opened it again it started working. Also, my regulator is marking that the pressure in the cylinder is all the way to the top, the needle is almost hitting the top. Does this mean my tank is overfilled? or is this normal for a fully filled tank?

Make sure gas disconnect is connected to the IN post on the corny. If it doesnt fit don't force it. Also, are you sure its clicked on there properly? I once had a quick disconnect that didn't have the proper insert in it to push the poppit down on the post, but yours is brand new so that certainly shouldn't be the case.

Make sure gas disconnect is connected to the IN post on the corny. If it doesnt fit don't force it. Also, are you sure its clicked on there properly? I once had a quick disconnect that didn't have the proper insert in it to push the poppit down on the post, but yours is brand new so that certainly shouldn't be the case.

Yeah, I double checked and checked again.

Also, What's up with the regulator? When I first opened the cylinder it marked it in the green (Full) area, and then I turned the cylinder off, and turned on again and the needle spiked. Here's a pic:

and yes, I did shut the valve of.
keg2.jpg

keg1.jpg

EDIT: I closed the cylinder valve, and seconds later air escaped from the regulator and entered the CO2 tank =/ Why doesn't it do that when the cylinder is open?

I bet you have a check valve on your distributor. You may have to reconnect the line from the regulator to the distributor (manifold) to the input. Kind of looks like it is connected to an output in your picture.

I bet you have a check valve on your distributor. You may have to reconnect the line from the regulator to the distributor (manifold) to the input. Kind of looks like it is connected to an output in your picture.

Yeah, I think I know what you mean. It does appear the hose is attached to an output on the manifold, but it isn't, I should have taken a better picture. However, it's working now like a charm. I have no idea what the problem was. All I did was turn off the cylinder, and then turn it on again.

EDIT: Here's a better pic of the gas lines.

keg3.jpg

But, I am a bit worried, it looks like the pressure is to high in the CO2 tank, since the needle almost spikes to the top? is this bad? And, is it normal for the regulator to freeze up? Sorry if these all sound like dumb questions, but when working with high pressure stuff like this I want to be as safe as possible.

I'd shut off the air at the tank, depressurize the system, disconnect from the keg, and then turn the tank back on before reconnecting any of the kegs.

that 1800 is way off. at about 1500psi your rupture disk on the tank would have blown.

I'd shut off the air at the tank, depressurize the system, disconnect from the keg, and then turn the tank back on before reconnecting any of the kegs.

that 1800 is way off. at about 1500psi your rupture disk on the tank would have blown.

THe first time I opened the tank it was in the green zone at about 1,000 psi. I did relieve the regulator of any gas a couple of times, but each time I open the tank, the pressure is at about 1600-1800 psi. From the first couple of pics I posted you can see the needle on the gauge at about 1800 psi

may be a bad guage. Kegconnection would likley help you troubleshoot it over the phone, and send a replacement right out.

Back