Out of control Secondary!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seawolf

Reaction score
So, I have a Sam Adams Summer Ale clone that sat in the primary for 12 days. The S.G. was 52 post boil, and when I tested it today it was 13. Right on target. I racked it to my secondary where it sat calmly for a few hours, and then it started going nuts. It's foaming out of the airlock like crazy, and I don't have any idea when it's going to stop!

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of issue? Any advice? Is this at all common?

Thanks!

Zach

Sounds like the yeast got excited with their new digs. Wait for them to settle down.

mmmm.... lambic. ;)

seriously, if it's bubbling out of the air lock, rig up a blow off tube and ride it out. i'd age it a spell longer, and calibrate your hydro with tap water.

Yeah similar problem here, but not foaming out of airlock. Just a thinnish layer of foam on the top, which I've never seen before. One thing that's different about my secondary that never happened before, is that I had really soupy trub, much more than usual. I ended up transferring more of it to the secondary than I ever have before.

Well, now the thing has worked itself into a lather after 8 days because I moved it a couple of times and kicked up the stuff on the bottom. I'm hoping my guess about the issue is right and that's really what the problem is because my gf and I spent $50 on the kit and we loved this beer when we brewed it before.

Slyngshot, would you be willing to share your recipe, I have a friend that likes the SA summer ale, just wondering, thanks.

Here goes:

This is a partial mash recipe that I used before I started all grain but it's really nice, and it drinks really well!

1.5 lbs wheat malt
1.75 lbs 2 row
5.5 lbs wheat extract

1 oz mt. hood @ 60
zest of 2 lemons, .5 oz Spalt, .5 oz paradise seeds @ 15
.5 oz spalt @ 5

Belgian Witbier 3944

That should do it.

1 week in primary, 2 weeks in secondary. I primed with .75 C corn sugar, and bottle conditioned for 4 weeks. It tasted a little green until week 4, but man is it good now!!

Back