All Grain Condo Brewing 101

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewtopia

"Greenwood Aged Beer"
Reaction score
What better way to start off the year than with a batch of beer. Today I brewed a 4 gallon batch of Saison.

Yeast starter is ready to go
01.01.08 Brew Day 003.jpg
Heating up the strike water
01.01.08 Brew Day 004.jpg
Mashing in
01.01.08 Brew Day 006.jpg
Nailed my target temp of 148°
01.01.08 Brew Day 009.jpg
Heating the sparge water
01.01.08 Brew Day 011.jpg

To be continued...

First runnings
01.01.08 Brew Day 013.jpg
Nice thing about brewing in such a small space. I can keep an eye on the big screen.
01.01.08 Brew Day 015.jpg
5 gallons in the kettle. This is where I really need to watch for boil overs
01.01.08 Brew Day 016.jpg
1st hop addition is ready to go
01.01.08 Brew Day 018.jpg
sanitizing the equipment
01.01.08 Brew Day 020.jpg

To be continued...

Rolling boil
01.01.08 Brew Day 023.jpg
Chilling the wort
01.01.08 Brew Day 025.jpg
Remember to aerate
01.01.08 Brew Day 027.jpg
Pitching the yeast
01.01.08 Brew Day 028.jpg
4 gallons in the fermentation chamber
01.01.08 Brew Day 031.jpg

Very smooth brew day with the exception of a leaky wort chiller right at the hose connection. Just tied a rag around the leak and continued on.

Was shooting for an OG of 1.052. ended up at 1.054 which is fine by me.

Have a great brew year everyone!

:mug: good stuff. for newbies like me i love the picture by picture walkthrough of how different people brew. its pretty much the same process but its cool since everyone has a slightly different take on it

Awesome pictures, I feel better at least having a little patio. I am also amazed that your stove can get the wort boiling.

Hell Brew said:
Awesome pictures, I feel better at least having a little patio. I am also amazed that your stove can get the wort boiling.
no way my stove would do that...haven't been able to do AG at my pad yet. I'm thinking i'm going to try the RIS 08/08/08 with two pots

inspiring brew session :rockin:

DeathBrewer said:
no way my stove would do that...

+1 I would love to get over 3.75 gallons in the brew pot on my stove.

LOL... looks familiar...except I have the luxery of a gas stove. My stock pot is large enough so I place it over two burners! Woot!

That's niiiice. Good job, Tope. One question:

How did you manage to straighten out the tube on your oxygenator? Mine came packaged in a coil, and I have yet to be able to get it to straighten out---which obviously causes issues trying to get it fully submersed in a carboy. I've heated it up and held it straight while it cooled, but it still manages to coil back up after awhile.

Lil' Sparky said:
Very nice. We should send a link to our friend Craig on youtube. ;)

Well, I don't see any bird feathers and poop and "things" anywhere, so I think Brewtopia still has a thing or two to learn about the right way to brew...

Evan! said:
Well, I don't see any bird feathers and poop and "things" anywhere, so I think Brewtopia still has a thing or two to learn about the right way to brew...

Don't we all. Not everyone has the amazing skills necessary to produce beer that is immune to infection from bird feathers and other misc. floor gunk.

Evan! said:
That's niiiice. Good job, Tope. One question:

How did you manage to straighten out the tube on your oxygenator? Mine came packaged in a coil, and I have yet to be able to get it to straighten out---which obviously causes issues trying to get it fully submersed in a carboy. I've heated it up and held it straight while it cooled, but it still manages to coil back up after awhile.

I solved my coiling tube problem by purchasing a straight racking tube. I just run my oxynator tubing down the center of the racking tube and then I can place the bubbler stone anywhere I want in the carboy. :mug:

Thanks for sharing...

Space is the thing keeping me from going AG. I live in a loft, and don't even have any outdoor space to do a full boil on a turkey fryer. But I guess I can do it for smaller 3-4 gallon batches.

Back