Homebrewing Blog

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you all add your tasting notes on your blog? Do you just add an "edit" to the brew day post, or add another post entirely?

I'm thinking about just sticking with adding to my brew day post to keep everything together.

I just looked back over my blog and noticed I very rarely end up posting about the tasting notes of a beer! I think i need to start doing that. I like the way scottland does his, I always read his entire brew day posts cause I know the tasting notes will be there

Howdy again everyone. New beer on tap downstairs and it's called the Imerialist Festivus Oktoberfest. Overshot my expected OG because of decoction mashing hence the imperial name. Anyways, I also used Bohemian Lager Wyeast fermented at 63* which after watching a Brewing TV episode, I learned can still maintain lager characteristics. Here's a link for anyone interested.

http://inhousebrew.weebly.com/1/post/2012/10/imperialist-festivus-oktoberfest-tasting.html

brettwasbtd said:
I just looked back over my blog and noticed I very rarely end up posting about the tasting notes of a beer! I think i need to start doing that. I like the way scottland does his, I always read his entire brew day posts cause I know the tasting notes will be there

I like to post my recipe as soon as I can after brewday. I'm much slower to get tasting notes posted, but I like having those in a separate post - I guess I see my blog as a journal of sorts, so it flows chronologically with my beers.

I think I will just go back and add "updates"

A post on a single beer tasting would be a little short, and this way they stick together I guess.

Just posted a write up on the Good Beer Festival here in town and also the first annual Home Brew Competition. I convinced the County to let us have the competition. I was nervous as hell. Never set up and ran anything like this. But it all worked out nicely. Looking forward to next year when we have a whole 12 months to get ready instead of 2 month. :)

http://atomicdonkeybrewing.blogspot.com/2012/10/good-beer-festival-and-home-brew.html

I like to post my recipe as soon as I can after brewday. I'm much slower to get tasting notes posted, but I like having those in a separate post - I guess I see my blog as a journal of sorts, so it flows chronologically with my beers.

I love that you guys are discussing this and in the middle of it all I just plop down my tasting notes review. I've only been doing my blog for a little while now but I think I might make new posts for the tasting notes with links back to the brew day or recipe within that tasting note post. That way it can be a bit shorter but with a link to references. That and I like adding links because it makes me feel fancy.

inhousebrew said:
I love that you guys are discussing this and in the middle of it all I just plop down my tasting notes review. I've only been doing my blog for a little while now but I think I might make new posts for the tasting notes with links back to the brew day or recipe within that tasting note post. That way it can be a bit shorter but with a link to references. That and I like adding links because it makes me feel fancy.

I like the idea of adding the recipe, add a little content while still focusing on tasting, and linking back. Hmmm

Hey folks! As noted previously I have really been digging low gravity session beers lately but I have next to no experience brewing them. So, I went ahead and did some reading and some writing and tossed up something on my blog with generic guidelines to help me brew what will hopefully be the most perfect session beer in all the world! Seriously though, I'd settle for something nice and drinkable though. Check it out.

inhousebrew said:
I really like the wordpress layout! Is that the free version? Or, is there a free version? And is it pretty easy to use?

Yea that is the free version, its pretty user friendly once you play with it a bit.

Hey all. The blogs look great. We just took the jump and got a domain name for the blog. So if your interested please check us out! The "website" (blog) is in my sig! Thanks.

I revamped my blog today with a much cleaner and simpler design. Also one that gets away from the stock, blogger looking sites. It also lets the photos pop a little more. Still need to sort out a CSS issue with the date flag (I want it to display MM/DD/YY), but I think it's coming around.

Just updated my blog to reflect the challenges I had with the big Irish red. Also about to open my searchable recipe database to the public.

Accidentally ran into a Surly Darkness on tap last night. If you want to read my blog posting about it and the show I was at go for it in the link. If not, to make a long story short, it was really freakin' good!

Just updated with my hopefully successful bright red cranberry wheat I'm calling my "Seasonal Sessionable."

If anyone would like me to add their blog to my blogroll, I would be happy to do so. You will see I have a few on there now: http://vikingales.com
Just add me to your site and let me know how you want your listing to appear.

Cheers!

I like the content in your blog...when I can find it! All the ads are REALLY distracting and I have a hard time finding the actuall posts...seems like 80% of you site is adds vs 20% content. Are you really trying to profit off of this?

I just posted about a belgian stout I brewed today and later in the week I'll finish writing up the post about the pumpkin dunkelweizen I brewed on Thanksgiving.

A blog is a great way to build a brand if you plan on making the transition to professional brewing at some point. Try blogging about events and conducting beer-related interviews. Your blog looks solid. The most important factors in maintaining a blog are regular updates and a compelling writing style. Content is crucial! Check out my blog (signature).

Awesome pics and quite the smorgashboard of food items you had there! What type of camera/lens do you use?

Thanks. About half of those shots are with my D40 and my 50mm F1.8 or my fisheye (maybe 1 or 2 pics). The other half were with my friend's Sony DSC-RX100 point and shoot, which I was very impressed with.

Just updated the blog in the fourth and final installment of the Pumpkin Beer Series: From reading to drinking and have to say that I think I did a pretty ok job at it. I really wanted a pumpkin beer that didn't get up and smack you in the face like some of them do. I don't care for the overbearing ones so I decided I'd try for a restrained English Brown Ale with pumpkin in the mash and just enough spices at the end of the boil to let you know it's a pumpkin beer.

I've gotten some positive reviews so far and I like it but take a look for a final recipe, tasting notes and some pictures.

http://inhousebrew.weebly.com/1/post/2012/11/pumpkin-beer-part-four-the-drinking-finally.html

Anchor's comment reminded me of good point on cameras. You don't need a DSLR to get great looking photos, but photos of people and things look great when there is a shallow depth of field. To get a shallow depth of field, you need to shoot the photo with a larger aperature (smaller numerically). A common misconception is that DLSRs do that out of the box. Most DSLRs come with a kit lens that while optically great, typically don't have a much larger aperature than the typical Point-and-Shoot camera.

Look for a camera or lens that has a low f/stop number. Typical cameras will go down to the f/3.5 or so. You'll get some good separation between your subjects and the background/foreground once you get under f/3.2. F/1.8, 2.0, 2.2, etc all would be ideal.

365beers.blogspot.com is a blog that a couple of drinking buddies and I started about five years ago when we chronicled our attempts at drinking a different beer a day for a year. One of my drinking buddies (Gus) is now my brewing buddy and we revived the blog to keep track of our brewing (mis)adventures. I have a hard time updating it but Gus updates it a couple of times a week.

So, if I haven't mentioned it yet, my post about my Spiced Peach Belgian-ish is now up.

Also, my blog gets to go in a new direction. The boyfriend and I broke up so now I get to move off of the homestead! Yay. Blech. I hate moving.

I guess I'll write a post about how to move 10 gallons of beer that are in secondary. ::sigh::

Bringing my blog back from a LOOOOOOOONG break. lots of real-life stuff recently, but looking to focus on writing in the near future.

BTW, I've been killing a lot a time checking out as many blogs as I can in this thread (more than I remember!). Tons of great stuff out there. Prost!

Bringing my blog back from a LOOOOOOOONG break. lots of real-life stuff recently, but looking to focus on writing in the near future.

BTW, I've been killing a lot a time checking out as many blogs as I can in this thread (more than I remember!). Tons of great stuff out there. Prost!

Followed your blog, we just redid our kitchen as well. It's so worth it in the end, but the process sucks! I hated not having a kitchen sink or anywhere to prepare food!

So, if I haven't mentioned it yet, my post about my Spiced Peach Belgian-ish is now up.

Also, my blog gets to go in a new direction. The boyfriend and I broke up so now I get to move off of the homestead! Yay. Blech. I hate moving.

I guess I'll write a post about how to move 10 gallons of beer that are in secondary. ::sigh::

Moving does suck, but...silver lining...less boyfriend means more time to brew? :eek: (sorry)

Back