CDA extract recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

relaxnrelapsen

Reaction score
Hey all! I want to brew an extract recipe that is along the lines of Deschutes Hop in the Dark. I hear rave reviews about Northern Brewer's Black Ipa kit am wondering how it compares to Deschutes?

I would like to tweak the kit by changing the dark malt in northern brewer's recipe to pale extract to make it a true CDA and use dark candy syrup per deschutes recipe hints. any thoughts on this? :fro:

I don't know about the Deschutes beer, but if I wanted to expand on the NB Black IPA kit, then I would do the following:

*Full volume boil w/no top off water
*0.5 to 0.75 oz. for bittering, 0.5 to 0.75 oz. at 30, 2 oz. at 15, 2 oz. at flameout, 2-3 oz. dryhop
*Extra light or light DME (no dark)
*Steep enough dark malts to achieve desired color
*Check OG after boil, then add the corn sugar to adjust OG
*Liquid yeast starter of the appropriate size/health
*4 week primary with dryhops added the 7 days; secondary not required
*Don't overcarb - shoot for the low to moderate end of carbonation for the style

Something like this: http://hopville.com/recipe/1562640/imperial-ipa-recipes/black-imperial-extract-ipa

You could even add more late hops, use a different yeast, and nix the carafa if you wanted.

Deschutes hop in the dark uses dark candy sugar and pale malt (not DME and corn sugar as in the northern brewer kit)......could i substitute dark candy sugar for the corn sugar at end boil?

I am basing this on Northern Brewer's Black Ipa Recipe and my love for Wndmer's Hop in the Dark.. I'm going for taste over color, Mouthfeel of the windmer's, (hence the oatmeal) and Cascadian Hop aroma. Seeking balance of bitterness with slight malt roast character. I'm not into heavy bitter hops but all about aroma with a tinge of bitterness making me beg for another sip. I also dont believe in using DME in CDA/BIPA

Specialty Grains: (at 60 min 155F)
0.25 lbs Briess midnight wheat
0.5 lbs Briess blackprinz
0.5 lbs Briess Caramel 80
1 lb toasted oatmeal

Boil
- 3.15 lbs LME (60 min)
- 6 lbs LME late addition (15 min)

HOPS
- 1 oz Magnum (60 min)
- 1 oz Chinook (15 min)
- 1 oz Centennial Type (10 min)
- 1 oz Cascade (5 min)
- 1 oz Centennial Type (0 min)
:drunk:- 1 oz Cascade (dry hop after 7 days in primary)

Adding Belgian dark candi sugar at end of boil to adjust OG, but not sure where i want it yet...?:confused:

considering adding cold steeped balck barley as well
using english ale yeast.

any thoughts? suggestions?
I dont know how to use beer software.

Deschutes hop in the dark uses dark candy sugar and pale malt (not DME and corn sugar as in the northern brewer kit)......could i substitute dark candy sugar for the corn sugar at end boil?

I see that dark candi sugar AND corn sugar is used. It's up to you regarding how closely you want to clone that beer. I would personally leave out the candi sugar since I consider it to be a hassle for a Black IPA and not really bring anything to make the IPA better. I would use candi sugar for a Belgian ale though.

DME is pale malt that was brewed into a fermentable wort and given to you in dehydrated form. The only difference is that extract and partial mash brewers use a portion of DME/LME whereas all-grain brewers tend to use pale malt with no DME/LME.

You could use Golden Naked Oats for the steep, but I'm not familiar with "toasted oats" - I assume they're the same thing. Usually regular oats need to be mashed with a base malt for proper conversion. Regarding the dark malts, why have you decided on using both blackprinz and midnight wheat? And now black barley? I would go with one or the other. I like midnight wheat. I would probably also add chocolate malt for flavor. If you want some added roastiness, you could use some roasted barley. That will give you more of a coffee-ish character.

I wouldn't use low attenuating English yeast for a 1.075 OG IIPA. It can be done, but most likely you would be left with a higher than preferred FG and more than expected residual sweetness. You could however use WLP007 and make a big starter.

For an IPA, 6-8 oz. total hops is good. IIPAs need a little more. The hops you selected will lend mostly grapefruit notes to your beer. I would tone down the bittering addition and double up on the late additions and the dryhop. A 60-20-10-0-DH schedule should work well here.

I dont actually have the northern brewer kit, i live in hawaii and i get what we get here, plain and simple. it doesnt pay to ship stuff here, considering the heat and all. we have a great home brew store.

I too love midnight wheat, and wanted to try something new, so hence, try the black prinz with something i already like, just in case. I though about cold steeping the black barley for color adjustment if need be and got the inspiration from all research on the hop in the dark clone. honestly it was an afterthought as the debittered blacks could be enough. I have to top off my boil with cooled water in the end and i figured I'd make the most of that with a cold steep. I dont mind the flavor cold steeping provides.

thanks for the advice on the hop bill, i'm not a big hop lover but i'm brewing this for my anniversary beer with an ipa loving boyfriend. i am the stout loving female. the only beer we agree on is deschutes hop in the dark.
:mug: if we can agree to make an awesome god enough beer i will be ecstatic

hops on hand are cascade, chinook, magnum, and centinneal but can get most others except for simcoe. the man loves his sierra nevada pale ale so we are dry hopping with the cascade. any advice how i can make the hops more complex yet still balanced with the black wheat and blackprinz?

on the yeast, i chose the california ale yeast and am making a 1 liter starter.

The Northern Brewer Black IPA was my last brew. Very good beer. I currently have a bottle of Hop in the Dark sitting in my fridge, waiting. But I have recently tried Ink Heart CDA from Laurelwood Brewing in Oregon. The NB Black IPA was very similar to the Ink Heart. I've also had Dark Rain from Bridgeport Brewing that was comparable as well. I have a few simple Black IPA / CDA recipes on my blog.

http://www.starsbarsbrewing.blogspot.com/

hops on hand are cascade, chinook, magnum, and centinneal but can get most others except for simcoe. any advice how i can make the hops more complex?

Well that depends. What other flavors are you looking for from the hops aside from citrusy grapefruit?

Well that depends. What other flavors are you looking for from the hops aside from citrusy grapefruit?

re HOPS: anything but pine. something that would dry hop well and play wel with cascade
I brewed this last night according to plan, with minor changes..

Added 1 lb corn sugar at end of boil to bring OG up to 1.080
(decided against the dark candi syrup when i tasted it. didnt think it would go well)
Also added only 1/2 gallon of the cold steeped black barley...cold steeping gave it a nice flavor, zero bitterness, slight CLEAN roast)

- 1 oz Magnum (60 min)
- 2 oz Centennial Type (10 min)
- 1 oz Cascade (5 min)
- 1 oz Centennial Type (0 min)

plan is to dry hop in 7 days with cascade or ????
so far i can tell it will be delicious but mild on the bitterness, probably not hoppy enough for my hunny.
16 hours later the air lock is bubbling away. yea!
:ban:

It should be fine. More hop character could have been had with more late additions, but coulda woulda shoulda.

To answer your question, I would get ahold of a fruity/tropical hop like Citra, Falconer's Flight, or a similar New Zealand variety. For 5 gallons of 1.080 IIPA, I would use 3.5 to 4 oz. total pellet dryhop.

Some NZ examples could be Galaxy, Motueka, Rakau, Green Bullet, Nelson Sauvin. Check out their flavor/aroma traits before making a purchase.

You want to let this beer condition for 4 weeks total including fermentation and dryhop. Don't bottle too soon. You can dryhop in the primary if you wish, or rack to secondary. Good luck. Report back!

UPDATE on the brew...
after 21 days in primary i threw in 2oz cascade, 7 days later racked into bottling bucket and bottled away. i snuck a taste and I am pleased. its delicious. the bitterness came through after all of the fermentation and i cant wait to crack my first bottle. will report when that happens. thanks to all for support and advice!

After two weeks in the bottle this beer is delicious. Clean roast, bright clean hop fragrance and crisp taste backed by balanced bitterness from hops not dark malts. Its only 2 weeks in the bottle and we've drunk a 12 pack and are ready to brew it again.

After comparing to a few other favorites (HOP int the Dark was my insipration) we noticed that it had some residual sweetness and would like the beer to finish drier. I used WLP001 with a 1 liter 24 hr starter and accidentally let it ferment 5 weeks in the primary before bottling with 2/3 cup corn sugar. And of course forgot to take final gravity. kicking myself now.

Question is: HOW might changing the yeast to WLP007 affect the taste? I hear it may leave a fruity ester taste, (not awesome to me) but finishes drier due to high attenuation. (starting gravity is 1.080.) IS there any other way to keep the yeast WLP001 perchance bigger starter, and change some fermentables. (IE honey or DME....)
original recipe follows

Specialty Grains: (at 60 min 155F)
0.25 lbs Briess midnight wheat
0.5 lbs Briess blackprinz
0.5 lbs Briess Caramel 80
1 lb toasted oatmeal

Boil
- 3.15 lbs LME (60 min)
- 6 lbs LME late addition (15 min)

**added 1/ gallon cold steeped barley (1/2 lb.) at start of boil
***added 1 lb corn sugar at end of boil

HOPS
- 1 oz Magnum (60 min)
- 2 oz Centennial (10 min)
- 1 oz Cascade (5 min)
- 1 oz Centennial (0 min)
- 1 oz Cascade (dry hop last 7 days before bottling)

Yeast WLP001 ( 1 liter starter 24 hrs)
5 weeks total in primary. meant to do 4 but had a brain fart.

Back