Sizing your Chest Freezer for Corny Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First post!!! Great forum btw. As many before me, it all started by bumping into Jester's project via a google search. Now I am hooked and have been researching madly for the last 2 weeks. I have completed my design in sketchup, Jester was nice enough to share his sketchups with me as well, and the only thing I can't decide on is the right freezer.

As I don't brew my own beer (yet, probably gonna start next summer), the number of cornies I can fit is not really a concern to me. What I really want is to be able to fit 3 1/6 barrel without a collar. This will be the set up 90% of the time and then for parties I would like to be able to throw a 1/2 barrel of piss-beer for the masses and keep a 1/6 barrel of the good stuff in for myself also without adding a collar.

For ppl who hate reading: 3x 1/6 barrel or 1/2 barrel + 1/6 barrel no collar. Possible? Which freezer(s)?:mug:

Well I just got a 7 cu ft Holiday freezer from Lowes (same as 7 cu ft GE freezer from HD) and I can fit 3 pin lock corny kegs without a collar. I did some quick research and found that a 1/6 barrel keg is 1/4 inch wider than a pin lock corny. I would bet that it would fit it for you. However, just to be safe, I would cut out 3 circles with the diameter you need and go pay a visit to your neighborhood HD/Lowes and check if the circles fit in the 7 cu ft GE/Holiday freezers.

Kenmore 6.9 from Sears

Will fit 2 ball lock on the floor + 1 20# co2 tank

can fit 2 more ball lock on the compressor hump but will need a collar

if you add a block on the floor to extend the hump you can fit 5 ball lock with a collar

interior dimensions:
total interior width is 24"
width of floor is 15" to the hump
hump is 9" wide
interior is 18" deep
height from floor to top interior is ~26.5"
hump is approx 8.25" tall

Thanks for the quick responses! I think fitting the 3 1/6 bbl will be the easy part, I am more concerned with fitting a 1/2 bbl + a 1/6 bbl.

I guess I could add a collar and put the 1/2 on the bottom and the 1/6 on the hump but I am really trying to avoid the collar. Has anyone seen a keezer with 1/2 and 1/6(or corny) without a collar?

Hi!

I got an older Gibson chest freezer off of Craigslist a month or so ago. It is working beautifully for freezing food, but I would like to turn it into storage for my beer!

It is the Gibson FH05M4DX 10.3 cubic foot freezer. The dimensions are as follows on the interior:
Hump - 18" x 11 1/2" x 19 1/2"
Deep - 18" x 26 1/2" x 29 1/2"

I have 9" paper plates, and it looked like I could fit five kegs easily in the bottom. Does anybody have any experience with this freezer? How many could I really fit? What are the logistics of having 5 kegs (with CO2 and regulators, and such)?

Thanks!

Pin lock kegs are 9" in diameter and are larger in diameter than Ball lock kegs. If you can fit 5 plates on the floor, you would likely be able to fit 5 pin locks in there and put a 5# or 10# co2 tank and regs on the hump with no trouble and no collar. Just get a temp controller and you're good to to!

barrooze said:
Pin lock kegs are 9" in diameter and are larger in diameter than Ball lock kegs. If you can fit 5 plates on the floor, you would likely be able to fit 5 pin locks in there and put a 5# or 10# co2 tank and regs on the hump with no trouble and no collar. Just get a temp controller and you're good to to!

Are you saying just use picnic taps and keep it all inside? If not, how would you build the taps?

That's one option. Another is using a couple towers or a coffin. Or go ahead and make a collar. The best part of DIY is you can do anything you want! :)

That's definitely true. If I can go picnic for now and upgrade to a coffin later, that might be the way to go.

Thanks for the advice!

Here is the freezer I ended up going with. The small cylinders are 9 1/4" and the large cylinder is the size of a 1/2 barrel.

It is a 10.6 cu ft Sunbeam I got at Menards. Took the display model for $229.

You could definitely fit a 4th corny or 1/6 barrel in the bottom pic I just didnt have another template.

IMG_1089.jpg

IMG_1090.jpg

Adding another one to the list.
Maytag 14.8
Model # MQC1552TEW
Internet # 202867507
Store SO SKU # 624458

Fits 9 ball locks on the floor comfortably and a 5# bottle on the corner hump. Easy to tweak the thermostat so you don't need a controller for keezer use. It retails for $399 at Home Depot at the moment, but I ordered a 10% off Lowes coupon from eBay to use (HD will accept them) and got it down to about $385 after tax which is nice. It's an Energy Star appliance as well so it runs pretty cheap and you might even get a tax break! :)

EDIT: Looks like there's an "internet sale" on this right now for $359. Note that they also have free shipping and installation so you don't need to haul the thing down to your basement as well as free removal of your old appliance. You might need to call your local store to arrange this. Even though it's relatively light when empty, I highly suggest letting someone else do the work... :)

WP_000753.jpg

WP_000687.jpg

WP_000688.jpg

WP_000690.jpg

WP_000691.jpg

Does anyone have an idea what size of freezer I would need to fit two 6.5 carboys?

cossacks19 said:
Does anyone have an idea what size of freezer I would need to fit two 6.5 carboys?

I know they'd fit in a Magic Chef 7.2 cu. ft. freezer, especially if you built a stand to continue the humps height across the entire bottom.

mmonacel, quick question. It says five sided coils. Does this mean there are coils on the top? I was actually looking to purchase this exact model sometime in early 2012.

Originally Posted by SkiNuke
I guess the best question is, what is the cheapest/smallest freezer that can fit 3 pin lock kegs into?

I too, am wondering this.

Check my post #341. I have a 7 cu/ft Woods freezer that fits 3-pinlocks and I recently found that a 20lb co2 tank will fit inside as well. However, it is an extremely tight fit with the tank.

I think ~7.2cu/ft is the minimum you need to fit 3 pin-locks. My 20lb tank has a smaller diameter than my pin-locks. If the tank had a 9" diameter, it would not fit.

Originally Posted by SkiNuke
I guess the best question is, what is the cheapest/smallest freezer that can fit 3 pin lock kegs into?

Check my post #341. I have a 7 cu/ft Woods freezer that fits 3-pinlocks and I recently found that a 20lb co2 tank will fit inside as well. However, it is an extremely tight fit with the tank.

I think ~7.2cu/ft is the minimum you need to fit 3 pin-locks. My 20lb tank has a smaller diameter than my pin-locks. If the tank had a 9" diameter, it would not fit.

Thanks for the info!

I got my Danby 8.7CF DCFM246WDD chest freezer today, and it is the perfect 'little' big keezer.
As I estimated, it actually holds 6 ball-locks on the floor and 2 on the hump with no problem (they slide in easy, it isn't a tight fit, but there's not much extra space front-to-back either). You can put 5-gallon cornies on the floor and 3-gallon cornies on the hump, and the lid closes without a shim (but it's close, and I am not sure if it would do so once you hook up the lines)

Actual dimensions:
overall: 17-5/16"deep x 36-9/16"wide x 25" tall
hump: 17-5/16"deep x 7-3/4" wide x 9" high
floor: 17-5/16"deep x 28-13/16"
So I was an inch off on the width, and an inch off on my estimate of the hump-size, so I can't say whether it'll hold 2 pin-locks front-to-back. If someone has a trace of the footprint of one, I could try mapping it out to see if they'll fit.

I just looked online, they have the 8.8 for $350, and the 8.7 for $269. The 8.7 is online exclusive, and out of stock.

I would wait for it to come back, if it can fit 6 on the floor. I am at the tipping point of buying a Kenmore 8.8. I have to go down to sears tommorow and see how many I can fit.

I just looked online, they have the 8.8 for $350, and the 8.7 for $269. The 8.7 is online exclusive, and out of stock.

I would wait for it to come back, if it can fit 6 on the floor. I am at the tipping point of buying a Kenmore 8.8. I have to go down to sears tommorow and see how many I can fit.

The Danby online exclusives aren't eligible for 10% off or free shipping too. I was going to buy the Danby 10.2 for $299, but it was $55 shipping. The Maytag 14.8 was $399 - 10% off for $359 and free shipping. So very similar price for 4+ extra cu ft.

mmonacel, quick question. It says five sided coils. Does this mean there are coils on the top? I was actually looking to purchase this exact model sometime in early 2012.

Sorry - just saw this. No, it doesn't appear that the lid has any coils. There are no lines running from the main freezer body to the lid and the lid itself sounds hollow when knocking on it from the underside. It's most certainly just styrofoam and the plastic lining up there. I'm guessing the 5th side is the floor.

Thanks for the follow up. After posting that I looked harder at the pics you posted and smacked myself in the head for being an idiot.

That is definitely the freezer I'm getting, just gonna have to wait till after Christmas.

No problem. I've heard of them being tucked in through the hinges sometimes for those that do run to the top so I double-checked for you. Looks clear. Enjoy!

Adding another one to the list.
Maytag 14.8
Model # MQC1552TEW
Internet # 202867507
Store SO SKU # 624458

Fits 9 ball locks on the floor comfortably and a 5# bottle on the corner hump. Easy to tweak the thermostat so you don't need a controller for keezer use. It retails for $399 at Home Depot at the moment, but I ordered a 10% off Lowes coupon from eBay to use (HD will accept them) and got it down to about $385 after tax which is nice. It's an Energy Star appliance as well so it runs pretty cheap and you might even get a tax break! :)

EDIT: Looks like there's an "internet sale" on this right now for $359. Note that they also have free shipping and installation so you don't need to haul the thing down to your basement as well as free removal of your old appliance. You might need to call your local store to arrange this. Even though it's relatively light when empty, I highly suggest letting someone else do the work... :)

Update this is now 313.00 with the above mentioned free home delivery, setup, and haul away! While supplies last.

This is a great deal, but I am going to hold out until black friday deals. I should be able to slowly piece together the rest of my outfit by then.

Holy crap that's a great deal!

I was in HD today and saw this on display and they accepted a 25 dollar Lowes coupon I had. Got it for 300 after tax delivered. The appliance guy said when the prices go down like this, they're usually trying to replace the product with a different version.

For those that bought it at a higher price I went in and got a rebate for the difference. Since I bought it in the store, they could only give me the difference from the current store price, but either way, it was still money in my pocket. HD's policy is two weeks for this kind of thing, but they "called for approval" and let me go even though I bought it a month ago. I'm not sure if the same policy applies for internet sales, but it'd certainly be worth a call to find out.

For those that bought it at a higher price I went in and got a rebate for the difference. Since I bought it in the store, they could only give me the difference from the current store price, but either way, it was still money in my pocket. HD's policy is two weeks for this kind of thing, but they "called for approval" and let me go even though I bought it a month ago. I'm not sure if the same policy applies for internet sales, but it'd certainly be worth a call to find out.

Thanks to your posts I just bought this - delivery on thurs!

Do you need a collar on yours, or do the kegs fit as is? Did you drill through any of your walls yet?

Thanks to your posts I just bought this - delivery on thurs!

Do you need a collar on yours, or do the kegs fit as is? Did you drill through any of your walls yet?

Excellent! No collar needed. Check out post #412 for pics. I'll eventually put a collar in anyway so I can install taps, etc. and make it look pretty, but it works great as is. It seems pretty clear that there are no lines in the lid as well so you could install a tower / Irish coffin if you wanted. I didn't drill through any walls as I haven't had a need to yet. If you want to see where the lines are, then let it get cold and then open the lid for a few min. You'll see condensation start to form where the lines are run.

Excellent! No collar needed. Check out post #412 for pics. I'll eventually put a collar in anyway so I can install taps, etc. and make it look pretty, but it works great as is. It seems pretty clear that there are no lines in the lid as well so you could install a tower / Irish coffin if you wanted. I didn't drill through any walls as I haven't had a need to yet. If you want to see where the lines are, then let it get cold and then open the lid for a few min. You'll see condensation start to form where the lines are run.

How big of a collar did you end up putting on? I was just going to put a small one since the clearance inside is no issue but I need to get the faucets on there.

Haven't done it yet. Probably nothing too big since it's not really critical to function, but I do like the all black look with a really nice stained piece of wood so I'd make it big enough to draw the attention to the wood itself.

[...]If you want to see where the lines are, then let it get cold and then open the lid for a few min. You'll see condensation start to form where the lines are run.

Fwiw, that will show where the expansion coil (cold side) might be, but it won't show where the condensing coil (hot side) is. It rings the outside of the cabinet under the skins and it's just as vulnerable as the cold side tubing.

The only assuredly safe place to drill through a modern chest freezer is the lid. I've never seen/read/heard of a chest freezer that has factory plumbing within the lid...

Cheers

Glad to hear I won't need one. For the time being, I'm thinking of just using my picnic taps, but eventually I want to add a 6 tap tower. Will I be able to use it as is with picnic taps or will I still need a collar? I'm thinking of doing about 6 kegs and maybe a carboy/better bottle or two - is there enough room for this?

Thanks again for all the help - I'm really looking forward to thurs!

Fwiw, that will show where the expansion coil (cold side) might be, but it won't show where the condensing coil (hot side) is. It rings the outside of the cabinet under the skins and it's just as vulnerable as the cold side tubing.

The only assuredly safe place to drill through a modern chest freezer is the lid. I've never seen/read/heard of a chest freezer that has factory plumbing within the lid...

Cheers

Wow - never new about the existence of hot side coils in a freezer (although it makes sense). Not sure I'll need to drill but thanks for the tip!

Glad to hear I won't need one. For the time being, I'm thinking of just using my picnic taps, but eventually I want to add a 6 tap tower. Will I be able to use it as is with picnic taps or will I still need a collar?
I have picnic taps on all my kegs right now so yep - no problem there.

I'm thinking of doing about 6 kegs and maybe a carboy/better bottle or two - is there enough room for this?

Interesting question. I just went to check it out and with 6 ball lock kegs (not sure if or how much pin locks would be different) I was able to fit two 5 gallon better bottles in there pretty easily. Note that these are the 5 gallon and not 6.5 version which I'm assuming have a slightly larger footprint, however there was enough play that I think the 6.5s would be fine. I was also able to do 1 5 gallon better bottle and 1 Ale Pale although that was a bit more cozy. Again though I think a 6.5 BB and an Ale Pail would likely fit. I also have a True Brew pail which is a bit taller and wider on the lid and that fit a with the BB, however it was very snug. I'm not sure a 6.5 BB and True Brew pail would work.

In all of these configurations I started tucking the ball locks in the bottom right corner as tight as possible and then worked left. This left room on the left hand side of the freezer to see what fit. You may get different / better results working left to right.

Enjoy your new keezer!

FYI that I also updated the thread on adjusting the thermostat without a controller.

Original

Update

In short, I ended up turning the small screw 20 turns clockwise which appears to be the limit. At the 5 1/2 position on the big dial it's holding steady at 51-53 degrees which is ideal for my ales.

Back