Brinkmann Turkey Fryer Opinions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chad_C

Reaction score
I'm looking to get a nice turkey fryer with my tax return this year and I came across the Brinkmann 42 qt turkey fryer seen here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002VW9L64/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 Are there any opinions on the Brinkmann burners? I figured that the 42 qt should be plenty big enough for a 5 gal boil, and this will get me into AG brewing, or atleast full boils.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm looking to get a nice turkey fryer with my tax return this year and I came across the Brinkmann 42 qt turkey fryer seen here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002VW9L64/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 Are there any opinions on the Brinkmann burners? I figured that the 42 qt should be plenty big enough for a 5 gal boil, and this will get me into AG brewing, or atleast full boils.

If you decide you don't want that aluminum pot and/or you decide you want a better quality burner, I would highly recommend this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000291GBQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

$37 shipped. Go buy the pot of your choice (one you won't want to upgrade in a month) and enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a Brinkmann, albeit a measly 45k BTU. Seems to work pretty well, pretty solidly built. At some point I'm going to upgrade, probably to a Bayou Classic with a higher capacity burner.

Hickory, Are you saying that the burner on the Brinkmann is no good? The BTU difference is only 10K. The actual burners look pretty similar, but looking for any input.

Is the auto shut-off "feature" affecting homebrewing? I keep looking over them because that "feature" freaks me out.

My thoughts:

- Pick up this kit.
- Fry a turkey with it.
- Use the burner for home brewing and turkey frying
- Get yourself a stainless pot or a used keg and use that.

There are pros and cons to the aluminum and brewing. Some swear it screws it up. I personally did not like the turkey pot for homebrew but that was mainly because I do more than just homebrew with that pot. It only took one batch of homebrew to learn that a pot that has been used to fry a turkey is not a pot you EVER want to use to cook your beer. Try as you may, there is still just a little wee little bit of oil left behind and that screws up your head retention big time.

BUT if you have zero intentions of NOT using the pot for anything other than beer and you are just getting into the hobby, go for it. BUT if you get the bug and really start to enjoy home brewing, and who here doesn't, you'll be using that pot to steam your oysters and cook a low country boil and getting yourself an upgraded brew pot.

Yeah - I am a stainless snob. I admit it. When you buy good cookware, it is rarely, if ever, made out of aluminum. Stainless is the way to go. But that is one man's opinion and like anyone here will tell you, as many different homebrewers as there are, there are THAT many ways to do homebrew.

Enjoy!

Dean

I started this post in February, and did not end up buying this kit. Instead I stuck with in house, stove top (Partial Mash) brewing while expanding my kegging, and fermentation equipment.

This winter I will be building a brew rig, with keggles. Turkey fryer kits are fine, but the way I looked at it, was just a stepping stone and would soon be replaced. Instead of wasting that money I invested in other areas of my brewing.

I started this post in February, and did not end up buying this kit. Instead I stuck with in house, stove top (Partial Mash) brewing while expanding my kegging, and fermentation equipment.

This winter I will be building a brew rig, with keggles. Turkey fryer kits are fine, but the way I looked at it, was just a stepping stone and would soon be replaced. Instead of wasting that money I invested in other areas of my brewing.

Is there an Academy Sports in your area?

They have 60K burner stands for $20. That is how I started and, I built those stands into my system as time passed on.

No, unfortunately not. We have Dicks, and Modell's but no Academy.

I will be going with these burners for my rig from Agrisupply.com

Back