Most vigorous fermentation I have ever had

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Germelli1

Reaction score
Check this video out. It is edworts apfelwein with 20 oz. of pure cranberry juice added. 7.25 gallons of it with 3 lbs of sugar with only 5g of Montrachet yeast pitched. Pitched 16 hours before the video was taken.

Sorry for the external link but I dont know how to post videos.

I just whipped up a modified apelfwein recipe too! And the fermentation rate was just as fast as that. It's pretty cool, huh? It's a good thing there wasn't much krausen on mine or half the cider would be in the blow off.

I just whipped up a modified apelfwein recipe too! And the fermentation rate was just as fast as that. It's pretty cool, huh? It's a good thing there wasn't much krausen on mine or half the cider would be in the blow off.

Yup, the montrachet is really well behaved with foaming. My last batch it sat like this for 3-4 weeks. I know the apfelwein tends to absorb a lot of the CO2 so I make sure to swirl it around a bunch before I bottle.

Usually when I swirl it the disolved C02 comes out so strong that it almost blows the airlock top off

Wow, good to know! Let me know how it turns out. I've never made any cider like beverages, so I'm stoked to see how these kinds of things turn out. They could be potentially popular and boost the homebrew PR with my fam and friends.

My first batch turned out amazing...I got a little excited and added an extra cup of table sugar. I didn't realize that 1 cup sugar= .45 pounds haha. But those amazing yeasties fermented it out to .996 making it about 14%. It lost much of the apple flavors, but doesn't taste very alcoholic. One serving will leave your throat warm and you lightheaded though!

Plus that might have been why my fermentation lasted a month haha

I opted out of the extra sugar and added two cans of apple juice concentrate with the hope of getting some good poppin' apple flavor in the end product. If not, it'll still kick some butt.

P.S. I've heard that the apple flavors can take some time to develop in secondary/bottle.

P.S. I've heard that the apple flavors can take some time to develop in secondary/bottle.

Awesome, I know the apfelwein ages well, but I never knew how it aged. Its sitting in the carboy I use for primary right now. Been in there since july so I am going to bottle it when I get some starsan

Back