Recipe Advice Cream Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmaster123

Reaction score
Hey I am going to be making a extract version of cream ale from northern brewer. I was thinking about adding a vanilla bean or two to the secondary. has anyone tried this? do you think it will turn out okay? normally I would just follow my whim and try it but this brew is for an event and has to turn out okay.

I brewed this kit from Northern Brewer about a month and a half ago. Great beer as is...very drinkable (just had two last nite and wanted more, but saving the last case for 4th of July weekend. I will for sure be getting another Cream Ale kit soon. I've had a hard time not killing this batch in a hurry. Me likey long time.:drunk:

I would maybe split the batch in half, leave half as is and add vanilla to the other half. That way you could see how each tasted and offer 2 styles at the event????

I'm sipping on the NB kit right now. So far it is the SWMBO favorite brew I've done. If you go without the vanilla you'll be happy. I'm sure it would go pretty well with the vanilla as well, but I'd recommend going with both suggestions to find a similar recipe and split it.

By the way the ingredients for the NB kit for comparison:
.75 lb Gambrinus Honey malt
.25 lb Dingemans Biscuit
6 lb Pilsen LME
1 oz Cluster

Thanks guys,
I think I will make this one as is and try it with the vanilla next time. I am making this beer for a buch of budlight drinkers and am hoping to convert some of them. :mug:

Yeah, do it as is first. I've been drinking this one out of the keg for a week or so now and I'm not sure vanilla would be the right flavor to pair with it. Might be good, but personally I think something fruity would be better if you're going to add additional flavor to it.

It's definitely drinkable and capable of converting folks to homebrew just as it is though.

I just brewed and kegged this kit as well. I brewed it with SWMBO and 100F days mowing the lawn in mind. She loves it. I love it. I would not enjoy vanilla in it. I don't think it would be appropriate after having had several pints of it without.

I actually used a .50 oz cascade addition in my last cream ale at 5 minutes....you would swear it has a vannilla aroma.

I actually used a .50 oz cascade addition in my last cream ale at 5 minutes....you would swear it has a vannilla aroma.

I could see a late addition aroma hop playing very well in this kit. Vanilla itself? Nah. But an aroma hop would do it nicely, especially one with a citrus lean on it.

I used a mix of pislen malt, pale pale malt for my base, then a touch of honey malt, aromatic malt and a pound of flaked corn.

I am having a hard time keeping the entire neighborhood out of my beer fridge in the garage!

They don't touch the IIPA, but the cream ale will be gone in a week.

If you enjoy cream ale, i think kolsch is an even more refreshing style.

Back