40 oz bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sorefingers23

Reaction score
here in montreal i am able to get most beers in a 40 oz bottle with a screw on cap, and i was wondering could i reuse those bottles for home brew??

Pretty sure those won't hold much for pressure. The screw on cap doesn't hold much for pressure I don't think once cracked. I would be more inclined to go with 2L pop bottles if you want volume. It's worth a shot though, give it a try, if you end up with flat beer, I imagine the tops are leaky.

i want the volume, but i definatly dont want the plastic bottles, theres just something about beer in plastic bottles that doesnt work for me..

i just came into a place today where i can get 450 ml swing top bottles for less than a buck each, so im gonna get some of those

you could put water in one of thoes and cap it to see if it leaks.

Naw, you need it under pressure. Maybe put a VERY SMALL amount of vinegar and baking soda in it and hold it under water and see if the cap leaks.

@OP - I have like 300 grolsch bottles. I actually just went to all the bottle depots in my area, they sold them to me for the deposit (15 cents at some places and 30 cents at others). Give the 40oz a try, it might work well.

I've used cobra 40oz bottles and they work fine. Did the same bottle with 2 batches. Carbs same as the 12oz bottles. Works fine, never had a problem.

I've heard that plastic bottles allow oxidation of the beer over time...anyone encountered this? I'm about to bottle my first batch of beer and I was wondering about investing in cheapo plastic bottles from my home brew store or getting the swing cap glass bottles ($40.00 for 12X500mL!!!). Also, can anyone thing of a chain or big box store that sells cheap swing tops?

If you want big bottles, get the mexican beers in 1qt size brown bottles. I have a whole bunch of these that originally held Carta Blanca. I believe Tecate sells them as well. They use regular caps, and a few go a loooong way with these bad boys.

Old post, I know, but if I searched for it, I figured others must too.

We have used 40oz bottles for brewing the last few years- much less of a bottling headache, easy to find dark glass, and we've never had a problem. We actually brought 40oz bottles from Montreal to use (3 hour ride).

I would, however, recommend taping the outside with electrical tape, just to be sure there are no leaks. Is it the prettiest thing? No, but it works! And, it is fun to present friends with a 40oz of actual tasty beer... add some funky labels, and it can look just as classy as a bottle of wine! ;)

Back