Type A personality alert! Distance from taps to front?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elfmaze

Reaction score
I have been trying different distances from the front of the keezer to the front of the taps. I can't bring myself to cut the holes because i'm worried it will be too far or too short a reach later... Bit OCD i guess.

What is a good reach from front wall to tap handle?

kegeratorv2.png

The center of my tower is 17" from the front and 12" to the end of the tap. I haven't noticed any issues reaching the tap :)

Stand in front of your keezer, reach your hand out to where a comfortable reach would be for a tap handle with a glass in your hand as if you were actually filling it. Go from there.

Wow! I'm not sure I like that distance. Looks a little too far back.

I hope you're not too short.

Nah 6'1". We will just have to put up a sign. "must be this tall to use 'keezer' " Lol

downsized_1014091516.jpg

I don't think so. I mean everyone will know what it was made from. But i think it looks nice. Its no stainless steel though. I could have done a much better job with the sandpaper and primer..... BUT, i was lazy.

TowerHIres.jpg

TowerHires2.jpg

Looks very nice!

FWIW, I would have put it as far back as possible. Just to maximize the counter space in front of it. It takes just a few seconds to fill a glass so reaching a tiny bit would be much less of an issue. But that's just my personal preference and my keezer doesn't look anywhere near as nice as yours (mine are front-panel mounted anyway).

Or maybe the area behind your 'tower' would be perfect for storing beer glasses and they'd be out of the way and somewhat protected.

Hmmmm, yea 7 sounds good.:D

I wouldn't recommend puttin a bunch of glasses on the top. I keep four with my brewery logo on top, and those are annoying enough to remove every time you need inside.

Good point IP. I also always forget that the taller your tower and the further back you put it...the farther away from the wall the keezer needs to be in order to open the lid...without putting a hole in the wall. That was actually the whole reason I front-mounted mine.

yeah forgot bout that part when placing. i guess we will see what clearance i get when its together

Since I tooke the time to weigh with a purely smartass post before I will now weigh in to say that that looks like some really nice workmanship.

Stupid foam plugs. I guess its keeping the PVC dust and stuff out. they are going to be useless once beer is in em though. The foam will funk up instantly.

I've referenced you're wort'o'matic site a "few" times, LOL. But i was unable to get the tower bent without metal braces, epoxy and lots of grinding. You made it sound way to easy. Perhaps the 3" would have allowed a proper miter saw cut.

Looks good. I like the color of the lid especially.

A bit off topic (but getting back a little to the original topic), I would encourage anyone that mounts taps directly into a keezer collar (as I did) to think about the height of the tap handles once they are fully installed, and whether the placement will have those handles taller than the keezer lid. I did mine without measuring. Luckily enough mine don't peek over the top of the keezer lid. If they did, putting stuff on top of the keezer would be that much more of a pain in the @ss. I've found myself saying more than once "thank god my tap handles are lower than the lid, or that XYZ would have totally hit them and I'd have a mess of beer on the basement floor."

Back