oxidized beer with plastic fermenters?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mishkin

Reaction score
I read that plastic fermenters let air in after a period of time. My lager is still fermenting after about 2 weeks and still has about 10 hydrometer points to go and I'm starting to worry about the beer being oxidized. How long do you think it takes for beer in a plastic fermenter to get oxidized?

when the airlock stops bubbling steadily it's time to transfer to a carboy/BB.

as long as co2 is still being actively produced the pressure differential inside an ale pale type bucket will prevent oxidation. when co2 production slows/stops is when o2 is able to migrate through the hdpe plastic

Mishkin said:
I read that plastic fermenters let air in after a period of time. My lager is still fermenting after about 2 weeks and still has about 10 hydrometer points to go and I'm starting to worry about the beer being oxidized. How long do you think it takes for beer in a plastic fermenter to get oxidized?
I wouldn't even begin to worry about it for another two weeks. And even then, I wouldn't worry much.

I hate oxidised beer but I always ferment in plastic. After 10-14 days it goes in a corni and I bottle the excess. No oxidation. I've even left it for months in a plastic fermenter, still no oxidation.
The oxygen transfer through plastic is a hand that is over played.

Back