Hex's 20 Gallon Run -- Pipeline Schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hex

Reaction score
20GallonRun.jpg

This page out of my brew binder details my last cycle for making 20 gallons of beer in 71 days. It works great for 10 gallons Bitters followed by 10 gallons IPA. Initially, one smack pack yeast per each of the two carboys, and in 21 days second beer on top of the previous yeast cake. That's $500 of great beer for under $60 and 20 hours 'work' in 71 days. (125 big bottles of beer valued at $4 per bottle.):rockin:

Both the Yeoman's special bitters and the 'Indian' Extra Special Bitters are two of the best beers I have ever had in my life. I'm not very versed in tasting notes, so any descriptions will be just personal taste. All four were/are 'creamy' with lots of hops presence. I used 4 oz EKG for each of the two bitters (two separate boils on my 5-gal equipment) and 5 oz (one oz each centenial, cascade, chinook, coulubus, amarillo) for each batch of 'IESB'. I am very interested in trying different mash temperature variations and English ale yeast strains in future brews, and I will be repeating this 20-gal run for my next four batches.

I used about a pound of crystal/caramel 45-145 mix and the color and flavor from them were to my liking, deep brown in color. The one lb. toasted MO also shined through, but both the caramel and toasted malts were overshadowed by the hops in the IESB's. Also the yeast characteristics were overshadowed by the hops in the IESB's. But I won't be changing the recipes on the next run, maybe different yeasts and mash temps...

Bitters were 1.049, IESB's were 1.060 and all ended around 1.012-1.010 with WY1968 and WY1275.

Latest posts

Back