Anyone have a extract recipe for Blue moon clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, just popped my first bottle and...it's SUPER carbonated! I mean, I decanted a bottle into a glass...nice easy pour...and I had a 1/4 glass of brew and 3/4 glass of foam.

I had to spoon off the head just to top of the glass. All that being said it sure tasted good. I will great in the summer.

Just a question, almost all the recipes above don't have any wheat in them, isn't that a main part of a wit?

I have had great success with the Austin Homebrew Supply Belgian Wit kit. They also have a Blue Moon clone on their site, and if it is anything like their other clone kits it should be pretty close.:mug:

Just wanted to comment, my friend turned me on to wild's recipe, only for me it went something like this:

3.2kg light LME
1kg honey
1oz hallertau - 60min boil
8g hallertau - steep 10 mins
1oz coriander - 15min boil
1oz orange peel (sweet) 15min boil

boiled the honey last 15min (it was unpasteurized)

Wyeast 1214 Belgian Abbey

In *5* days the gravity went from 1.061 to 1.010. About a 68% attenuation, very nearly fully fermented. It spent a week in secondary and then I kegged it.

Boiling the spices was a mistake, but the beer turned out damned amazing! I'm brewing a second batch now. I have to say, this 1214 seems to be going MUCH faster than the white labs one mentioned in a previous post. This second batch I pitched on washed yeast from a beer that I just finished in primary.

It's not Blue Moon, it's better! The guy at my LHBS, a certified beer judge (if that means much), said it was better than any belgian wit he had attempted, extract or all grain. I can't wait to drain this keg!

wild said:
Here's the recipe for:​

Blue Moon Ale Clone

5 lbs. Extra Light DME
2½ lbs. Orange Blossom Honey
1 oz. Hallertauer pellet hops (4½% - boil 45 minutes)
½ oz. Hallertauer whole hops (2.4% - steep 10 minutes)
1 oz. Coriander Seed (crushed - ½ boil 10 min, ½ steep 10 minutes)
1 oz. Orange Peel (zested fresh and dried, steep 10 minutes)
500 ml Wyeast #1214 Belgian Abbey yeast starter

Specifics:
Recipe type: Extract
Batch Size: 5 Gallons
SG: 1.059
FG: 1.010
Time in Boil: 45 minutes
Primary Fermentation: 7 days
Secondary Fermentation: 9 days

Good luck,
Wild

I followed the above recipe only I steeped 1 pound of specialty grain ( flaked wheat). I noticed the color is now darker. Almost amber in color.

Did I do something wrong?

Cool. Thanks for the reply.

True, the special grain aren't a part of this recipe, but i took the advise ofmy LHBS owner as well as one of the guys in this thread.

I just wanted to make sure... maybe next time I'll brew with out it.

Here's the recipe for:​

Blue Moon Ale Clone

5 lbs. Extra Light DME
2½ lbs. Orange Blossom Honey
1 oz. Hallertauer pellet hops (4½% - boil 45 minutes)
½ oz. Hallertauer whole hops (2.4% - steep 10 minutes)
1 oz. Coriander Seed (crushed - ½ boil 10 min, ½ steep 10 minutes)
1 oz. Orange Peel (zested fresh and dried, steep 10 minutes)
500 ml Wyeast #1214 Belgian Abbey yeast starter

Specifics:
Recipe type: Extract
Batch Size: 5 Gallons
SG: 1.059
FG: 1.010
Time in Boil: 45 minutes
Primary Fermentation: 7 days
Secondary Fermentation: 9 days

Good luck,
Wild

I used this recipe and it was a HUGE hit. However I used WLP400 and it attenuated down to 1.007 and had a OG of 1.063 so I ended up at 7.3%ish ABV. It tastes great though and was a big hit.

planning on using WLP400 too... think i'll need a starter? tomorrow is my only day off for a week or so, and i plan on getting all the ingredients and brewing tomorrow!

Well I didn't use a starter but on mr malty it says to make up a one liter starter. I did this in a 6gal fermenter, be prepared for blow off trust me. It was a long fermentation for me. It seemed to have died down in primary but the gravity was still to high so I transferred it to secondary and the transfer kicked off another two solid weeks of fermenting.

There hasn't been any talk of using White Labs WLP320 American Hefeweizen yeast. This seems like a great fit for this beer because it has low flocculation and doesn't impart the strong banana/clove flavors, leaving a clean American Hefe taste and cloudy look. I just used it on my American wheat and I really like the results.

I bottled a version my LBHS came up with on Sunday it smells awesome. Very close to blue moon in smell and taste. Cant wait till it is carbed up. The safbrew s-33 took off like a rocket and was a fast violent fermentation. The bulk was done in just a couple days.

Batch size 5 gallons
boil time 60 minutes
OG 1.050 - 1.055
FG 1.010-1.014
3.3lb can of coopers light LME
3.3lb can of coopers wheat LME
1oz hallertau pellets (45 min)
1oz hallertau pellets (15 min)
1oz coriander (15 min)
1oz dried orange peel (15 min)
safbrew s-33 dry yeast

funny you should ask. I just finished bottling a Belgian wit. It tasted damn good out of the fermenter so I have high hopes. Here is the recipe I used.

7 lbs liquid wheat malt extract (Briess)
1lb flaked oats
1/2 oz coriander (crushed)
1 oz bitter orang peel
belgian wit ale yeast (liquid)
2 oz liberty hops

steeped oats for 1/2 hour at 165 degrees
liquid malt extract (60 minute boil)
1 oz of the liberty hops (60 minute boil))
added dried orange peel, coriander, and 1oz of liberty hops for the final 5 minutes of boil.
pitched yeast at 70degrees and kept fermentation temp at 65degrees.
primary for 18 days and then bottled.

note:
you may want to add 1/2 of your liquid malt extract at the beginning of the boil and the other half in the last 10 minutes to keep the beers color lighter.

I serve this one as to friends and family that are blue moon fans. It's a bigger beer, but MAN is it good...

Ingredients / procedure:

8 oz. Carapils malt steep for 30 minutes@ 155
6 pounds of Extra Light Dried Malt Extract @60 minutes
1 oz. Hallertau bittering hops @60 minutes
2 pounds of Clover Honey @ 20 minutes
1 oz. crushed Coriander @ 5 minutes
1 oz. sweet Orange Peel @ 5 minutes
1 oz. Hallertau aroma hops @ 2 minutes
Belgian wit yeast

Making this one as we speak for my 2nd batch. Sounds good, and smelling good. let you guys know how it turns out.

Hmm, this might be my first post. I'm new to homebrewing, and I'm on my 4th batch at this point. However, its my first extract. I only brew in 2 gallon batches at the moment. Anyway, I've attempted a slight variation on Wild's recipe from the first page with some changes based on others input in this thread, but my scaled down version looks like this:

1lb extra light DME
1lb wheat DME (which is 55% pale malt and 45% wheat malt), so I'm roughly at 25% wheat
1lb orange blossom honey
.4 oz hallertauer pellet hops
.4 oz Amarillo leaf hops
1 oz coriander seed
.5 oz bitter orange peel
WL380 yeast

Process went fine on 4/17, OG was 1.069 (I know...) As of 5/4, gravity is only down to 1.019, but the sample tastes pretty darn sweet. I understand honey can take awhile to ferment, so a couple of days ago I gave the jug a healthy swirl to get the yeast cake suspended again. Temps are in the low 70s. Initial fermentation went bonkers. Krauzen actually filled my sanitizer container and overflowed THAT. I'm going to check the gravity on Friday but I'm expecting the same reading. I know, I know, I should just relax and all, but I got more grain to mash! What say ye? Do I just bottle it and enjoy a sweeter beer?

Give it a couple days or so if you resuspended the yeast cake then bottle it. Carbonation will add a bit of bite to offset the sweetness. Once in the bottle for 3 weeks crack one open and enjoy.

Brewed this today while my little guy was napping.

OG 1.065

Is this ok?

Judging by the volume in the carboy, it looks like I could add a half gallon. Is there a way to calculate what that would do to the gravity?

Brewed this today while my little guy was napping.

OG 1.065

Is this ok?

Judging by the volume in the carboy, it looks like I could add a half gallon. Is there a way to calculate what that would do to the gravity?

this should be a simple linear equation. Assuming you made 5 gallons, then you calculate it like this:

4.5*1.065 + 1.0*.5 = 1.059

where the SG of water is 1. I'd think you'd be ok at the new OG.

made this recipie but my OG was 1.138?!?! how could that be? My final volume could have been a little low, but thats's insane! It's fermenting away, though...

What quantities of what did you use? Post your recipe that you made not the recipe you followed. At 1.138 you've either halved your volume or doubled your fermentables somehow. That or your gravity sample was more concentrated than your actual batch which is also likely.

I dig this thread, and I just brewed something along the lines of wild's recipe from post #5.

I used 6.5 pounds of Briess wheat LME, and Wyeast #1010 (American wheat) since my LHBS didn't have #1214 (Belgian wheat).

I noticed that earlier in this thread, someone said their brew turned out very clear. Wyeast's website says that #1010's flocculation = low. I've been reading a lot on this forum about 4 week primary fermentation with no secondary, and it's been working well so far for me. I was planning on doing that with this beer too.

I'm not terribly concerned what what the beer looks like as long as it tastes decent, since I'm not entering any competitions with it. I was just wondering if anyone had an opinion on 4 week primary with no secondary for a wheat or witbier?

Thanks in advance for any input. :mug:

jimmystewart said:
I dig this thread, and I just brewed something along the lines of wild's recipe from post #5.

I used 6.5 pounds of Briess wheat LME, and Wyeast #1010 (American wheat) since my LHBS didn't have #1214 (Belgian wheat).

I noticed that earlier in this thread, someone said their brew turned out very clear. Wyeast's website says that #1010's flocculation = low. I've been reading a lot on this forum about 4 week primary fermentation with no secondary, and it's been working well so far for me. I was planning on doing that with this beer too.

I'm not terribly concerned what what the beer looks like as long as it tastes decent, since I'm not entering any competitions with it. I was just wondering if anyone had an opinion on 4 week primary with no secondary for a wheat or witbier?

Thanks in advance for any input. :mug:

My last batch was a Belgian White Grand Cru that was kept in fermenter for 4 weeks. I ferment in a Minibrew 15 gallon conical and the recipe was Adventures in Homebrewing's (homebrewing.org). I think it is there spin on a Blue Moon clone. The brew turned out awesome!

I used 5# DME and 2.5# Honey... 2.5 gal at the start of 50 min boil, added 3.5 gal boiled for 10 min, then checked OG - I think my sample was suspect, because after 5 days of vigorous fermentation, I racked to my secondary and a sample was 1.030. I'll probably let it go acouple of weeks then check again...:mug:

Dockside: Congrats on your awesome brew. I guess the Grand Cru is a higher ABV% and has some vanilla in it? What yeast did you use? Did it turn out hazy like most wheat beers, or did it settle out clear like a lot of the guys talk about when doing a 4 week primary?

Fresh: I've noticed that the Wyeast #1010 seems to ferment a lot slower than Nottingham. I'm still pretty new to brewing, so that's really my only point of reference.

Also, when I did mine, I put 2 pounds of the honey in at the beginning of the boil, and the other half pound at flameout. I recall some people suggesting that the earlier you add the honey, the less you're likely to notice it in the final flavor.

Jimmystewart: It does have a higher ABV. There is no vanilla in this recipe. The brew is clean cloudy if that makes sense. The color is amazing! I will post a pic soon. The recipe is from Adventures in Homebrewing ( homebrewing.org). Check there house recipes out.

There's a guy who used to actually brew Blue Moon beer. He says it does not have honey in it nor does it use a belgium wit yeast. There isn't an extract version in the thread yet but it does have the all grain version. I could care less about color, I'm just going for taste but haven't found an extract clone recipe yet.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/blue-moon-clone-65328/

docksidebrew I have brewed up that same kit. It is a tasty brew. I used to live a few minutes from adventures in home brewing. I can say nothing but kind words about them. You should their Oberon clone. It is good stuff.

How was the result. A friend and I are trying to make a blue moon clone. Just wondering how this came out.

There's a guy who used to actually brew Blue Moon beer. He says it does not have honey in it nor does it use a belgium wit yeast. There isn't an extract version in the thread yet but it does have the all grain version. I could care less about color, I'm just going for taste but haven't found an extract clone recipe yet.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/blue-moon-clone-65328/

I brewed an extract version loosely based off of that guy's AG recipe:

1lb flaked oats, steeped 30 mins at 155°F
3 lbs light DME
4 lbs wheat DME
1 oz Hallertauer pellet (4.2 AAU) 45 min
1 oz crushed coriander seed 10 min
0.33 oz dried sweet orange peel 4 min
1 oz Hallertauer pellet (4.2 AAU) 0 min
Safale US-05

This batch is on day #6 of fermenting, so I can't tell you how it stacks up just yet. I can tell you that my wort definitely had the aroma of a Blue Moon type beer, and my OG sample, though watery, had orange and coriander flavors. I'll post an update tonight or tomorrow when I take my next gravity sample and again post-bottle conditioning (around May 3rd or 4th).

Sampled for SG and taste tonight. SG was at 1.012 vs BeerSmith target of 1.014. I couldn't taste anything because of an afternoon allergy attack that has stopped up my nose. SWMBO graciously tasted the sample and said it tasted like flat Blue Moon.

Hope that helps.

Sampled for SG and taste tonight. SG was at 1.012 vs BeerSmith target of 1.014. I couldn't taste anything because of an afternoon allergy attack that has stopped up my nose. SWMBO graciously tasted the sample and said it tasted like flat Blue Moon.

Hope that helps.

Sub'd to find out the results. Please keep us posted.

I bottled this beer last Sunday and tried one last night. It definitely needs more time to carb - I'm thinking another 10 days minimum. I had a lot of yeast at the bottom of my fermenter, so I'm guessing I have less than normal in the bottles for conditioning. As for the beer itself:

The color is dead-on. The taste seems very close, minus the carbonic bite from an actual Blue Moon. I had SWMBO perform a blind taste test, and she preferred the flat clone (which I am dubbing Seven Year Wit) to Blue Moon.

Side note: I strongly recommend a blowoff on this beer. I ferment 5 gallons in a 6 gallon carboy and can normally get by without one. I had a very vigorous fermentation that made a mess out of my s-type airlock.

Last update: I opened a bottle tonight and was pleased with the results. More importantly, SWMBO likes it better than Blue Moon. In a blind taste test she called the Blue Moon watery by comparison. The flaked oats and wheat DME give this beer excellent mouthfeel. My beer is on the left in the pic below. I'm dubbing it Seven Year Wit in honor of my seventh wedding anniversary.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1431128712.284080.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1431128756.093071.jpg

Very nice!

And congrats on 7 years. I'm a year behind you!

Last update: I opened a bottle tonight and was pleased with the results. More importantly, SWMBO likes it better than Blue Moon. In a blind taste test she called the Blue Moon watery by comparison. The flaked oats and wheat DME give this beer excellent mouthfeel. My beer is on the left in the pic below. I'm dubbing it Seven Year Wit in honor of my seventh wedding anniversary.

View attachment 276822View attachment 276823

So what was your exact recipe, including amount of water used?? I only have done mr beer kits, and am trying to get into extract to start, and eventually all grain once i have the space. i will of course have to scale yalls recipes down to 2.25-2.5 gallons though

Ingredients:

1lb flaked oats
3lbs Light DME
4lbs Wheat DME
1oz Hallertauer Mittelfruh (4%AAU)
1oz Ground Coriander Seed
1/3 oz Dried Sweet Orange Peel
1/2 oz Hallertauer Mittelfruh (4%AAU)

1 package Safale US-05

Steep the flaked oats in 1.5 quarts of water for 30 minutes. Drain oats, transfer to kettle, and add 3 gallons of water.

Add DME just prior to start of boil - you want to add DME to HOT water! It will clump no matter what, but the clumping is worse in cold water. Add DME while stirring - again, DME tends to clump, so you need to add it slowly while stirring it in to prevent clumps.

Bring everything to a boil. Additions are as follows:

1oz Hallertauer 45 mins
1oz ground coriander 10 mins
1/3 oz orange peel 5 mins
1/2 oz Hallertauer 0 mins

Cool wort and transfer to fermenter, topping off to 5 gallons. Pitch yeast (no starter or rehydration necessary).

Ferment at 66°F. Mine was complete in about 10 days, but YMMV.

Back