Does alcohol make you sneeze?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakecpunut

Reaction score
It's not me, but probably 80% of the time, when my wife takes a drink of wine or beer, she immediately sneezes! Usually just once, sometimes 2 times. We don't think it's carbonation or anything because soda's doesn't cause her to sneeze at all.. Only wine and beer!

Maybe I need to get her on some sort of tv show hahaha

Anyone else experience this?

Maybe she breathes threw her nose when she drinks and the hoppy/wine smell makes her sneeze?.... I dunno. Sounds like one of those things that would be 'cute' at the beginning of the relationship and then turn into a ......lol...

Haven't run across it, but my brother would always sneeze when he went out in bright sunlight. AKA photic sneeze reflex - a genetic quirk that is still unexplained

Given the number of nerves that connect the roof of your mouth and the nasal passages, plus the speed with which alcohol can be absorbed, I'm not too surprised.

My brother sneezes every time he eats chocolate. I laugh at him every time. My mom's allergy doc said some people sneeze when they eat food they are allergic to.

Haven't run across it, but my brother would always sneeze when he went out in bright sunlight. AKA photic sneeze reflex - a genetic quirk that is still unexplained

Given the number of nerves that connect the roof of your mouth and the nasal passages, plus the speed with which alcohol can be absorbed, I'm not too surprised.

i have this. stupid sun, up there, just being bright all day. :mad:

A buddy of mine sneezes a lot when he drinks beer. His doc thinks it could be a mild alergy to hops since the sneezing seems to depend on the style he is drinking and is worse when drinking something with more hops like an IPA. Could just be placebo effect though.

Only after, and if, it came through my nose.

My wife is allergic to alcohol but, only mildly. So, your wife could be having a mild reaction as well. Seems oddly mild but, smoking cigarettes in winter gives me hiccups. Thus, anything is possible.

I dunno. Sounds like one of those things that would be 'cute' at the beginning of the relationship and then turn into a ......lol...

Off topic. Made me think of something funny.

My old neighbor married Miss Georgia. He said he loved her accent when they first met. 20 years of marriage later (she was still hot) and he said it was worse than nails on a chalkboard.

Back