What to brew next...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dorklord

Reaction score
My GF tripel is ready to transfer to a secondary whenever I get a chance, and my first GF beer is carbonating. I'm going to have an open fermenter, and I've got like 5 lbs 4 oz of sorghum extract in the freezer.

Seems like it will soon be time to make brew number 3, and I'm trying to figure out what to make. I have, or can easily get, plenty of rice syrup solids, I've got a bag of flaked corn. I've also got some raw buckwheat and millet.

Before this whole GF thing, I liked belgian beers best (New belgian Tripel was my favorite, I also liked their Sunshine wheat, Hoegaarden...)

Right now, because my Tripel won't be ready for a while, and the batch that is in bottles right now is a little disappointing (very watery, and I learned a lesson from it), I want to brew something that won't need to age for months and months. I could try brewing a wit some other wheat-like beer again, I suppose. Or has anyone had any luck making a good Belgian blonde, or some other Belgian that won't need to age forever? (Enkel?)

Anyone have any great recipe suggestions?

well, my first batch brewing was a GF all grain batch.. it involved a bit of work though.

i malted,~7# of quinoa and toasted it to a med caramel color
mashed it at 104, 140, and 160 for 45 min each,

sparged

to the wort for the boil i added:
1.5# clover honey
1 oz cascade domestic hopps (.5 @ 60, .25@ 30 and .25 at 15)
1.2tsp irish moss @ 15
1 packet coopersale yeast
3/4c corn sugar for bottling

it spent a week in the primary
a 2 weeks in the secondary
and 2 weeks in the bottle conditioning

the ABV was rather low, like utah beer low....
but it was clean crisp, with no off flavors, and everyone that's tried it GF or not really like it.
its totally one ill do again, maybe adding enzymes to the mash for better starch conversion.

BUT

if your going for more of a wit

i just bottled something close, in a few weeks ill give it a taste

butit goes a lil like this
7# of breiss sorghum extract
1.5# clover honey
2oz fresh orange zest (1oz @ 60, .5oz @ 30 .5oz @ 15)
2oz czech saaz (1oz @ 60, .5 @ 30, .5@ 15)
1/4 oz crushed corriander @ 15
1/2tsp irish moss @ 15
3/4cup corn sugar for bottling

heat the water. add the extract
follow the times above for adding orange peel, hopps, corriander and moss.

a week in the primary
2 weeks in the secondary
and 2 weeks in the bottle

well, my first batch brewing was a GF all grain batch.. it involved a bit of work though.

i malted,~7# of quinoa and toasted it to a med caramel color
mashed it at 104, 140, and 160 for 45 min each,

sparged

to the wort for the boil i added:
1.5# clover honey
1 oz cascade domestic hopps (.5 @ 60, .25@ 30 and .25 at 15)
1.2tsp irish moss @ 15
1 packet coopersale yeast
3/4c corn sugar for bottling

it spent a week in the primary
a 2 weeks in the secondary
and 2 weeks in the bottle conditioning

the ABV was rather low, like utah beer low....
but it was clean crisp, with no off flavors, and everyone that's tried it GF or not really like it.
its totally one ill do again, maybe adding enzymes to the mash for better starch conversion.

BUT

if your going for more of a wit

i just bottled something close, in a few weeks ill give it a taste

butit goes a lil like this
7# of breiss sorghum extract
1.5# clover honey
2oz fresh orange zest (1oz @ 60, .5oz @ 30 .5oz @ 15)
2oz czech saaz (1oz @ 60, .5 @ 30, .5@ 15)
1/4 oz crushed corriander @ 15
1/2tsp irish moss @ 15
3/4cup corn sugar for bottling

heat the water. add the extract
follow the times above for adding orange peel, hopps, corriander and moss.

a week in the primary
2 weeks in the secondary
and 2 weeks in the bottle

I'm not prepared to try all grain yet, especially considering that I'd have to malt all the stuff...But your wit recipe sounds pretty good. I'm guessing that substituting rice solids for some of the sorghum syrup would work fine.
As for the honey, if I wanted to use, say, Belgian candi sugar instead, do you know how much I should aim for (I don't know much about honey, but I've heard that different varieties are fermentable to differing amounts, so is 1.5 lbs of clover honey equal to roughly 1.5 lbs of candi sugar, or 1.25?) I'd probably be using a 'golden' candi sugar, since my attempts to produce clear have ended up producing something closer in color to honey...

i am currently still in the learning stage and have not used candi sugar before. so i cant be sure of the conversion factors.... but there should be that information located somewhere else in the forum.
just consider this. we gluten free brewers are out to test the limits of brewing world, so dont get stuck on a recipe and experiment.

I have some in my drop down you can give a try :p

I have brewed Icasanova's American brown ale, and it is the best GF beer I have had.

I also have a nice lager recipe if you are set up to brew lagers? Everyone who has tried this lager has enjoyed it, even non coeliacs.

2.8 kg Sorghum Malt
0.5Kg Honey (I used clover honey)
28g Saaz Hops – Bittering (60min)
15g Saaz Hops – Flavouring (20min)
7g Saaz Hops – Aroma (10min)
7g Saaz Hops – Aroma (end of boil)
(I used Czech saaz hops from Nelson 4.4%AA)
5g Irish Moss (10min)

I don't have anything set up to lager yet. I'm hoping that during the winter, I can simply use my basement, as it is pretty cool down there, though I might need to use a carboy in a bucket trick, or just make a little insulated box and toss some ice in.

But I don't have a fridge I can use or anything.

I suppose I could try something like a 'steam' beer and simply let it sit in the basement, as cool as possible. Steam anchor was on my list of beers to try back before I found out about the celiacs, but I never tried it...

I went back and forth on making another wit, but I decided to do something a little different:

5lb 4 oz White Sorghum Syrup
1 lb Rice syrup solids

I'm trying to decide on the hops. I guess basically, I'm going for an Enkel (single, whatever the heck you want to call it) so I just want a reasonable balancing amount of bitterness, you would find in a tripel or a wit.

Coriander and orange peel, at least in limited amounts, shall occur. I'm undecided on T58 or S33 yeast. I'm actually tempted to split the batch and use a packet of each, but that would take up all my carboys (and I'm going to need to transfer my GF Tripel to one of them sometime soon) so I may just repeat this batch in a few weeks/months with the other yeast, just to see the difference.

Sounds like it will be quite pale, and will have a lot of sorghum tang. I've never brewed with rice solids but I can't imagine they will add much flavour or colour.

Maybe some citrusy hops to go with the orange peel -cascades perhaps?

Let us know how it goes.

It should be pretty pale. I've been told that the rice syrup solids will help cut the sorghum tang. I actually haven't tried making a batch with just sorghum syrup, as some have done, but the batch I have bottled right now, which had 6 lbs of sorghum and 1 lb of rice solids, didn't seem to have the tang that Redbridge does. I've noticed that New grist, which is made with sorghum and rice, doesn't seem to have that twang either.

Actually, if I could reproduce the base flavor of new grist, but with a belgian character (from the yeast, coriander, orange peel), I'd be pretty happy with it as an 'everyday' drink.

Sounds like it will be quite pale, and will have a lot of sorghum tang. I've never brewed with rice solids but I can't imagine they will add much flavour or colour.

Maybe some citrusy hops to go with the orange peel -cascades perhaps?

Most of my batches I've brewed with 1-2 lbs of Rice Syrup and 3-6 lbs of Sorghum and I've found that cutting the sorghum with rice really seems to eliminate the tang quite a bit. But you're right, a citrusy hops can help a lot too.

The working theory at the moment is that a lot of the tang may come from a high mineral concentration in sorghum. Since rice/sugar/tapioca have a low mineral concentration it would make sense that cutting sorghum with one of these would help to reduce or eliminate most of the problem tang.

I would say New Grist vs. Redbridge is a great example of how adding rice syrup can greatly improve the taste from pure sorghum.

Most of my batches I've brewed with 1-2 lbs of Rice Syrup and 3-6 lbs of Sorghum and I've found that cutting the sorghum with rice really seems to eliminate the tang quite a bit. But you're right, a citrusy hops can help a lot too.

The working theory at the moment is that a lot of the tang may come from a high mineral concentration in sorghum. Since rice/sugar/tapioca have a low mineral concentration it would make sense that cutting sorghum with one of these would help to reduce or eliminate most of the problem tang.

I would say New Grist vs. Redbridge is a great example of how adding rice syrup can greatly improve the taste from pure sorghum.
I agree, it really does seem that redbridge has a tangy, almost salty character...

At this point, I'm thinking about using hersbrucker and saaz hops for this. Though if my LHBS doesn't have the hersbrucker, I'm not sure what to substitute (I've got an ounce of fuggle...)

Well, the lhbs didn't have any Hersbrucker. Or saaz. Apparently he had a run on hops today.

Back