Drinking Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sillyfi

Reaction score
Hi

Bought a bottle of Mead at the weekend and enjoyed it so much I bought a second.

I was just wondering how long you can leave a bottle of opened Mead in the fridge before it goes bad?

Thanks
Fi

I would treat it the same as wine. 1-2 days are probably ok as long as the bottle opening is covered. Anything beyond that and it's probably not going to taste too good.

It's probably best for taste to drink wines and meads within 24 hours of opening.

I'm glad you asked that question because I'm going to crack open my first bottle of mead. I've never had it before but I'm always willing to give new drinks a try!

ive left them open for significant times before.... the degradation is noticeable. depends on how you store them....

meads don't oxidise in the same way that "normal" wine does. So you should get a couple of days out of it, in the fridge!

It's just that a lot of people would drink it like a wine, but I'd suggest that historically, it's less likely to have been drunk in poncey little glasses and more like some sort of tankard type vessel - and logically, drunk more like beer!

Just my 2 pence worth.......

regards

fatbloke

p.s. dunno whether the potential keeping properties has anything to do with the honey content....... archaeologists tasted some honey that had been in a tomb in Egypt for a couple of thousand years...... it was still edible......

Back