What makes a red, red?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnaBonger

Reaction score
Title kinda says it all...

Where does the red color come from in a red beer?

I have the hankering to get a red going for St. Patricks day and am looking for a place to start with recipes... Or is there an outstanding red recipe here somewhere?

2-4 ounces of roasted barley.

Some of the color will come from a little crystal malt, but the roast will add to the deep red color.

If you're all grain maybe go for:

9 Lbs pale malt
0.5 lb Munich malt
0.5 Crystal 40
0.25 lb Crystal 80
3 oz roasted barley

EKGs to bitter to between 25-30 IBUs at 60 min
Maybe 0.5 oz of EKG in the last 5-10 minutes for a little aroma

A higher attenuating English/Irish strain yeast

If extract, sub the pale malt with about 6 lbs of Light DME

For the bittering, assuming 5% AA on the EKG's, 1.25 oz will get you 25 IBU's

I'd get a 2 oz package, use 1.25 oz at 60 and use the rest in the last 10 minutes, either all 0.75 oz at 10 or split 0.5 at 10 and 0.25 at 5

That's off the top of my head.

I wouldn't use White Labs 002, it would be too sweet. If you did use it back off on the Munich and Crystal

I'd use:
WLP-004 Irish Ale
WLP-007 Dry English Ale
WLP-013 London Ale
WLP-022 Essex Ale *Platinum strain available now (Jan-Feb)

Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale
Wyeast 1098 Whitbread Dry
Wyeast 1028 London Ale

Just about any of the dry English yeasts
Nottingham
Safale S-04

I just brewed Jamil's red ale on Saturday. It had Crystal 45, Crystal 120, and some pale chocolate malt in it. Turned out with an SRM of 12. Red and lovely. Currently bubbling away in my fermentation freezer!

I love the pale chocoltae malt. Can't go wrong adding a little to anything amber colored or darker. If you want to up the toasty/coffee/bittersweet chocolate flavor a little in the recipe add a little (3-4oz) of pale chocolate and back off the roast an ounce.

I just brewed Jamil's red ale on Saturday. It had Crystal 45, Crystal 120, and some pale chocolate malt in it. Turned out with an SRM of 12. Red and lovely. Currently bubbling away in my fermentation freezer!

I did the same thing this past weekend, I followed the recipe as close as i could...BrewSmith put the SRM at 18 because I used crystal 30l, crystal 125L and chocolate 350L. My OG came out to 1.062! I think I should have backed of the base malt 10%...

I've tried and tried, taken the advice of the brewmasters around here, used roasted barley, cara red, crystal 120 etc. but I still cannot create a beer that is decidedly red. I shall persevere.

My Jamil red ended up at 1.061! I started with just under 8 gallons in the pot and ended up with about 5.25 or so. Around 73% efficiencey...cant wait to see how it turned out.

I've never tried to brew a red before, but I can tell you this one is RED. Not sure really why, but it is. You might give it a shot.

Latest posts

Back