Is it OK to take a hydrometer reading yet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewinHog

Reaction score
I'm new to the game and brewing my first batch. My stopper has crawled to a near halt and I am wondering if it is OK to take a hydrometer reading. It has been in the fermenter for 4 full days. I don't plan on moving it to the secondary until at the earliest Sunday, but I am just not sure if I should take a reading this early. I am brewing a honey cream ale. O.G.=1.042. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Blind Hog Brewing Co.

I would wait. The bubbles in the airlock don't mean fermentation is finished. After 7 days if you want to check go ahead, but I like to leave the beer in the primary for 10 days and then the secondary for 14 days. Alot of people leave the beer in the primary for three to five weeks.

Thanks for the advice. I know that the gas bubbles mean nothing, but I just wanted to check. I plan on taking the hydrometer readings three consecutive days and if it is the same, I'll move. I am just sitting here drinking a Sam Adams Cream Stout wondering what my beer tastes like. I was kinda looking forward to a hydrometer sample to drink:drunk:! Thanks for the advice. I'll take as much as I can get!

Leave it alone. I'd pass on racking to a secondary after only a week too. If you want, you can take a reading on Sunday. If your sanitation is proper, you will be fine. I like taking samples after a week, 2 weeks etc with random beers. It helps me help to understand how different stages of beer taste. Just don't rush your beer.

HOLD OFF!
GIVE YOUR BEER 14DAYS!

Sorry didnt' mean to yell...but it's in your own best interest. Even if you're set on using a secondary...and I would not....Leave it for 7 anyway.

I would go 14 and then access the situation. Some kits like to say 4 or 5 or 6 days then secondary for a week or 2 and then bottle...but I like to give that yeast some time to really clean things up.

and don't freak out when you taste the sample...it's going to be green and nasty....taste it...and maybe even make notes...just don't freak out when it doesn't taste like a miller High Life!

I'm new to the game and brewing my first batch. My stopper has crawled to a near halt and I am wondering if it is OK to take a hydrometer reading. It has been in the fermenter for 4 full days. I don't plan on moving it to the secondary until at the earliest Sunday, but I am just not sure if I should take a reading this early. I am brewing a honey cream ale. O.G.=1.042. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Blind Hog Brewing Co.

Here's the deal, if you want to transfer to 2ndary, go ahead. You'll have plenty of left over yeast to finish the job. I understand the "impatience" to get your first beer out and drink / taste but don't get freaked out by all the EAC's around here to stop your learning. If you want to rack to secondary, go ahead. No harm, no foul. Just remember,You have to drink what you brew. So patience (sp?) is a virtue).

don't get freaked out by all the EAC's around here to stop your learning.

What mean you?
I understand not what you mean!

EAC's? STOP LEARNING? What?

IF anything...the EAS's around here will encourage you to learn ALL you can about EVERY step of the process! HECK...Look what Yuri and OlllllO have done! 10 From grain to beer...that don't' make NO DAMN SENSE!

(SHUSH! Don't tell anyone that I'm trying too!)

HOLD OFF!
GIVE YOUR BEER 14DAYS!

Sorry didnt' mean to yell...but it's in your own best interest. Even if you're set on using a secondary...and I would not....Leave it for 7 anyway.

I would go 14 and then access the situation. Some kits like to say 4 or 5 or 6 days then secondary for a week or 2 and then bottle...but I like to give that yeast some time to really clean things up.

and don't freak out when you taste the sample...it's going to be green and nasty....taste it...and maybe even make notes...just don't freak out when it doesn't taste like a miller High Life!

If I don't rack to the secondary, how long should I leave it in the primary?

What about moving to a secondary after 14 days? Does it not help with clarity and taste? How long do you normally bottle condition if you move it from the primary after 14 days?

If I don't rack to the secondary, how long should I leave it in the primary?

Best would be at least three weeks after fermentation has ended to let it clear and clean up after itself.
You can always do it sooner as long as fermentation is done, but the beer only gets better with more time. (short of 6 months or so, but I have done it).

Back