Ghetto stands.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hammy71

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I know BierMuncher calls his gear 'ugly junk'. But I'm a big fan of making do with what you have when it comes to building things. Decided that I'm not much of a welder and I've been using a 20 gallon cast iron aquarium stand for over 2 years as a brew stand. So I've decided to upgrade a little. I really wanted a second burner so a friend had a 55 gallon stand and an old burner he wanted to give away, so..... For perspective the pot on the left is 8 gallon and the monster on the right is my 21 Gallon SS pot a friend made for me....

red.jpg

Ehhh, thats not that ghetto man.

My gravity tier system is based on a beat up computer desk and my garage floor. lots of lifting back n forth to sparge lol.

brewstand.jpg

My brew stand would be considered way more ghetto than yours... 3-tier gravity fed (4 tier if you consider the fermenter it goes in)

I just got my system all together tonight.

Sometimes I wish HBT didn't have a swear-filter. We're all 21 here, right?

Because I 'EFFING' LOVE this setup. I wish I owned a sweet pickup so I could make beer on it and sell it to folks I know. That 'ess' is the BUSINESS (Although I can't say it wouldn't be improved with some MOTHER EFFING SAWHORSES - hats off to spatronis).

I love the idea of using old aquarium stands. Brilliant. Use what ya got!

In the two years since that picture the rig has changed quite a bit. Wheels, water filter and a RIMS. The brewery never stops growing.

IMG_20111021_102057.jpg

2012-01-08_12-27-33_463.jpg

I did my first batch in my new house (renting).. Man oh man I like the head height on this stand, but carrying 13-14 gallons of wort up the stairs is a pain.
photo8.jpg

these systems got a good laugh out of me. not making fun, but seeing what levels of imagination people can go to. Congrats, everyone, for these creative setups... fun to look at

This probably does not qualify as ghetto, but it is a totally make-shift direct fire brewing stand.

I start with a heavy duty gorilla rack I picked up from Costco. I have shelfs on the lowest and highest points plus one bar going just across the back about 2 feet up.

On this I have a blichmann floor burner for my kettle, and a Cajun style two burner stand I picked up from a surplus store. It came with legs but I just left them off. It's all piped up to to single propane tank. Valves for each burner and solenoids for the HLT and MLT.

This thing is sturdy. I frequently brew 20 gallon batches on it. I love the top shelf and the bottom shelf. I store all of my other gear on it.

image-1314554723.jpg

Y'all must live in some pretty swanky neighborhoods if you think those stands are ghetto.

Sparging from a porch, however, certainly qualifies.

Every part of my brewery is built from scrap metal, the pots were free scrap pool filter housings and the stand was from an old broken down hot stamping machine that I got for free. The pots were free and the stand was free, does that make it ghetto?

IMG_6091.jpg

Casters, pump, nice coil, matching vessels with sight glasses and thermos, electric heaters with controller...

Very nice set up. Very nice indeed. But this is the ghetto stand thread...

I paid $700 bucks for my stand(i do get to drive it around). Free mash tun(from a friend), free HLT(from a friend). I do have ball valves, though. SS, kinda posh. Its ghetto chic. :mug:

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeit I have a porch that I keep my mlt on. Sparge water gets carried in its heavy hot pot and dumped in. Lautering is gravity fed. Transfer to fermenter is also manual labor.
Do you fly your own ghetto plane and relax in your ghetto yacht?

Clay davis approved this message.

I want to see some pics of every ones setups. I realize mines not very ghetto compared to a lot of others.

Having a porch/deck is nice. But if you don't have one a truck works well.

welll its more of a cement couple of steps. theres a railing and its a little wider than the front door, so i call it a porch

Latest posts

Back