hum, may have messed up, is this going to do me any good

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeepDiver

Reaction score
I kegged my OctoberFast last night and had about 3/4 gallon of beer left. I also had a JP La Roja that I was about to drink, so I came up with the idea to put the left over beer in a gallon jug and add the dregs from the La Roja. Now reading up on things, looks like I should have made a starter.

My thinking was I would leave this setting for a few months before doing anything with it, then trying to use it for a sour beer (Won't have time to brew one until this fall anyway). Should I mix up some DME and add it, or just leave it as is, or just pour everything out?

Just getting into sours, so guess I should have read up before I started :)

Let it ride as is.

My understanding is you want to build up the starter so the brett/bugs are active and high enough cell count so that when you pitch it, they take off quickly. You will likely have to wait a while before you start seeing fermentation, and in that time enterobacteria may have time to grow too strong which will create a horrid flavor.

That being said, 3/4 of a gallon isn't all THAT much. I just poured the bottom 1/5th of a Cantillon 750 into a gallon of left over wort and fermentation took off without a hitch.

you are talking about adding the dregs to beer already fermented with a sacc strain, right? If so, you don't have to worry about entero, but you may not end up with a ton of leftover yeasts for a bigger batch, or a mouthpuckering sour, but you may still have enough left over food in there to get some nice brett character if you leave it long enough. Adding some fresh wort or DME would help get whatever is in there growing.

i just did almost this exact same thing. i added the dregs of two bottles of La Roja into a one gallon batch of wheat. it showed no signs of activity for 3-4 weeks, so i then did a starter using the dregs from a bottle of JP Cinco Anos. i stepped it up once (took about a week total) then pitched that in and it took off immediately and hard. blew my air lock out overnight and i had to put a blow off tube on. its been fermenting strong for a week now. if i was you, i'd buy another delicious bottle of La Roja and make a starter with the dregs, then add that and you'll be golden.

EDIT

oh, fair point, your beer is already fermented (wasnt paying attention) so yeah... i agree with the other posters, probably just let it ride.

I'd probably add an ounce of sugar to get some activity to create a protective CO2 layer. Otherwise, place it in the corner for a few months until you are ready to use it.

Well I had to make a starter yesterday for my wheat, so I made a little extra to add to my gallon jug. I already had a pecile going, but went ahead and added about 1 1/2 cups of starter. It's bubbling away this morning and the pecile was back at the top. Planning on leaving it on the water heater for 2-3 months at least since I probably won't have a chance to do anything with it until then (trying to get the pipeline built up after getting a kegerator earlier this year, realizing I'm drinking way too much right now :) )

I've got 3 x 1 gallon sour experiments going that were done the same way (and are 3.5 - 4.5 months old). All started with JP dregs (La Roja, Madrugada)+ dregs from another sour or two. I pitched the JP dregs straight and had pretty vigorous activity after 3 - 4 days in each. After 3 months or so, they all had a pretty intense, distinctive JP brett character and were pretty tart already - much more than I was expecting. Haven't tasted them since 3 months, but it seems like the dregs, without a starter, were up to the task.

I've got 3 x 1 gallon sour experiments going that were done the same way (and are 3.5 - 4.5 months old). All started with JP dregs (La Roja, Madrugada)+ dregs from another sour or two. I pitched the JP dregs straight and had pretty vigorous activity after 3 - 4 days in each. After 3 months or so, they all had a pretty intense, distinctive JP brett character and were pretty tart already - much more than I was expecting. Haven't tasted them since 3 months, but it seems like the dregs, without a starter, were up to the task.

Good to hear. Right now my plan is to let this just set for 2-3 months then brew up a 5 gallon batch of something (not sure yet) let it go with yeast for a couple of days, then pitch the dregs in this gallon (after cold crashing and decanting it). Then just let it set for several months and see what it taste like and if it is too tart, blend half with something else in a keg, and top off the sour with fresh wort.

Not sure how well things will work out, but it's really just an expierment to see what I can get it to do.

Back