Spicy Off flavor from 1007??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jakeass

Reaction score
I brewed Midwests "Rich German Bock" kit a buddy gave to me. I do not have lagering capabilities, but it reccomended 1007 German Ale yeast. I used a starter and had vigerous fermentation. Two week primary, and racked to "secondary" for another week and a half- not that I wanted to, but I needed the fermenter for another beer. Now that it has set in the bottle for two weeks, I get this weird christmas spice beer flavor. Mabey clove-ish? I know that you can get that flavor from heff yeasts, but has any one ever experienced it on this perticular yeast? I may have set on the higher end of the "acceptable temp" range mabey 72-74 at MAX and not for more than a day.... very frustrating! Still drinkable, but I hate spice beer. Any thoughts?

I just used 1007 for a bock ale as well. I kept my temp around 62-64 and it came out with a very clean profile. I have heard 1007 can get strange at higher temps. I would try leaving a bottle in the fridge for a week to get the yeast to drop out which can be tough with 1007... It might help.

Back