Little Giant 3-MD

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J-Malone

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone is using the LG 3-MD pump in there system? I see that it is listed as having a temp rating of up to 150, but I was wondering if anyone has been using for near to boiling temp transfers and if they have had any issues?

Additionally, I am looking at a LG 360S and have not been able to find much in the way of temp ratings for it...anybody know anything about it?

Thanks ahead of time

Jm

I use a 3-MD in my RIMs box and have never had an issue with it. The only thing I wish were different is that I would like threaded input/output on the head, but I use a good vinyl tubing with stainless camlock quick disconnects with metal worm screw clamps to hold everything tight.

It may work with a RIMS but at 150* max temp I would be reluctant to pump boiling water through it. The pump you are looking for is the Little Giant TE-3-MD-HC which is 1/12 HP and good to 200*F. Lots of guys here use them at boiling temps but they are a bit more expensive.

I have done it on occasion, with no issue that I have seen or tasted. I bought the pump used and bought a new head for it, IIRC when I was getting the head from the manufacturer - I checked ratings on the material and it was good past boiling temps. The rating of the pump maybe for prolonged heat of the pump itself, I could see the pump failing at exposure to 212+ for long periods of time, but that would just piss someone off, not be dangerous to the beer.

I'm not an expert, so take this for what its worth. Its been done with no perceived negative effects.

I also use the TE-3-MD-HC as a pump for all my needs. The electric motor brushes are not exposed (TE=totally enclosed). Therefore, splashes and etc don't get into the motor. I picked up mine on ebay for $120.00 shipped. If you aren't in a hurry these types of deals pop up every few months.

In addition, taking the pump head apart is a breeze. It's held together by 4 stainless wing nuts. It's amazing how many small particles collect in the pump head after moving wort.

Good luck!

Back