First Batch: Filtering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LafourcheBrewer

Reaction score
I am near the bottling stage in my first batch, and have a question as to how I can remove particles such as hops and other things i don't want in my bottles.

I may have made a mistake in fermenting in my 5 gallon bucket w/ spigot. I am thinking some sanitized strainer may work if I transfer while straining into the glass carboy.

Any other ideas or suggestions?
Thanks

If you transfer (rack) your beer into the glass carboy, do you have a racking cane? It's a long stiff tube with a bend at the top.

Racking canes come with a little plastic cap that covers the bottom opening of the tube. This little plastic cap will filter out some of the bigger particles when you rack into your carboy.

Unfortunately after racking, you should rinse out your bucket that has the spigot and rack back into that from the carboy. It's much easier to bottle from something that has a spigot.

Your beer will still develop little yeast cakes on the bottom of each bottle but when you pour the bottles into glasses leave the last bit with all the yeast behind.

Also don't forget to add the sugar to the bucket when you rack to beer back to it. Otherwise your beer will never carbonate :)

Since it's your first time- don't be alarmed by what you see at the bottom of the bucket aftr you rack into the carboy. Just rinse that stuff away ;)

You shouldn't need to filter if your careful racking.

Have you read/looked up anything on brewing like books/videos/how-to's/youtube?

Your going to end up with bottle trub no matter what if your bottle conditioning. I have dramatically reduced the amount of trub in my bottles every batch when I get better at racking.

Thanks for the help.I have read the books but I figured some experienced brewers mya be able to give some quick help--which yall did.

Back