Just Made My First Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vox

Reaction score
Good morning all. I've been brewing for about a year, mostly cider. On Sunday 3/10, I made my first wine, unless you count Apfelwein. It was Winexpert's World Vineyard Australian Chardonnay kit. I read good things about Winexpert kits and this Chardonnay. Making it as a gift for my parents. So far, nothing to difficult, but I've only tackled step one. Starting OG was 1.1. Need to check the gravity this weekend. Will keep this thread updated with my progress. Any winemaking tips and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

ForumRunner_20130313_074411.jpg

ForumRunner_20130313_074436.jpg

ForumRunner_20130313_074452.jpg

It sounds fine- I don't really have any good tips, as they have very good instructions with that kit and simply by following the directions you will have a very drinkable wine.

If you can rent or borrow (or own) a floor corker, that is helpful because 30 bottles of wine is a pain to cork with a hand corker.

It sounds fine- I don't really have any good tips, as they have very good instructions with that kit and simply by following the directions you will have a very drinkable wine.

If you can rent or borrow (or own) a floor corker, that is helpful because 30 bottles of wine is a pain to cork with a hand corker.

Thanks for the tip. I only know beer brewers so I don't know anyone with a floor corker. I need to find some bottles. Any suggestions on corks or are they fairly similar other than size?

Thanks for the tip. I only know beer brewers so I don't know anyone with a floor corker. I need to find some bottles. Any suggestions on corks or are they fairly similar other than size?

I'd get the better ones- they aren't that much more expensive and they hold up better when you open them (don't fall apart in the wine!).

If you're using a hand corker, you'll want #8 sized corks.

Corks are going to be standard sized for pretty much every bottle. And I only say pretty much to cover my butt incase there is one in the world that isn't. I have yet to find one...

As far as bottles... Go by an Italian Restaurant in town and talk to the kitchen manager. I go through their recycling on like Sunday morning and get tons of bottles. They need a good soaking and cleaning, but free is free. :mug:

Back