Double IPA recipe thoughts...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I'm looking to make a double IPA that is similar to Breckenridge Brewery's 471 IPA. I have this recipe made up so far and am looking for a little feedback. Thanks!

5.25 gal batch

15lbs 2 row
.5lbs Carapils
.5lbs German Munich
.5lbs US Crystal 40

Mash at 154 for 60min

.5oz Columbus at 60min
1.0oz Centennial at 30min
1.0oz Simcoe at 20min
1.0oz Fuggle at 20min
.5oz Centennial at 20min

Wy London Ale, or Wy Dry English Ale. Not sure yet. I was even thinking of using Wy Ringwood Ale.

Thanks for your feedback!

FWIW, I would say is 154 mash might be a bit high. I normally mash lower and add a little higher percentage of crystal malts than you have but YMMV. Generally you'd want an IPA, especially a DIPA, to be dry and not sweet or cloying. Also your use of an English Ale yeast will have decreased attenuation compared to an American ale yeast.

Brew it and tell us how it is!

+1 on considering late hop and/or flameout additions. For some perspective, a Pliny clone recipe usually uses 3-4 oz. at flameout, and then another 3-4 oz in dry hop. Also, I love the flavor that first Wort hops brings to IPA and DIPA....
One pound of sugar added at 10 minutes can help dry it up and boost ABV, too. Batch sparging for me wouldn't yield DIPA status with that grain bill. And consider CA ale yeast, perhaps, for clean flavor and good attenuation, which are typical for IPA/DIPA styles.

So after reading through "Designing Great Beers" I've made some revisions.

Mash at 151 for 60.

13lbs 2 row
1lb 12oz Munich
1lb 12oz US Crystal 40
15oz Carapils

Now, the hopping changed quite a bit, and I'm guessing this will change the character of the beer significantly. I'm thinking much more of a grapefruit character.

2oz of Chinook at 60
1oz of Cascade at 30
1oz of Chinook at 20
1oz of Cascade at 10
1oz of Centennial at 5

Per Jake, I'll go with a simple American Ale yeast as the hopping has become more Americanized and I don't want to mix up styles too much.

I don't know the Breckenridge IIPA, but don't you want a flavor hop addition at 0 to 5 minutes?

flavor additions are around 20 minutes and aroma are 5 and under. So I would add some late addition hops for some more aroma. also get rid of the 30 minute addition. it doesnt add any flavor or aroma and you get less utilization out of it. just up the amount of the 60 minute addition to get the same IBUs. but definitely add an ounce or two in the last couple minutes. also dry hop these beast.

+1 on considering late hop and/or flameout additions. For some perspective, a Pliny clone recipe usually uses 3-4 oz. at flameout, and then another 3-4 oz in dry hop. Also, I love the flavor that first Wort hops brings to IPA and DIPA....
One pound of sugar added at 10 minutes can help dry it up and boost ABV, too. Batch sparging for me wouldn't yield DIPA status with that grain bill. And consider CA ale yeast, perhaps, for clean flavor and good attenuation, which are typical for IPA/DIPA styles.

I added the late hop additions as I'd like more of a hop flavor and a little less of a aroma. 471 doesn't have a huge nose anyways. I'll keep some sugar on hand in case the fly sparge doesn't get me too close to my target gravity however I'm not expecting horrible efficiency. I'd like to keep this IIPA a little on the sweeter side.

Sounds good. I think you'll like the combo of Chinook, Cascade, and Centennial. They are really typical for the style. Instead of your 30 minute addition, I'd throw that ounce of Cascade into the kettle as you bring it up from sparge temp to boil (FWH), especially if you're after more hop flavor. Also, making a starter would be a good idea. Good luck!

Per Jake, I'll go with a simple American Ale yeast as the hopping has become more Americanized and I don't want to mix up styles too much.

007/1098 has plenty high attenuation and is likely the yeast used in this. id stick with it

btw, way too much crystal malt in this (nearly 3lbs!). its been awhile since i tried 471, but its definitely not that sweet.

Latest posts

Back