Unorthodox partigyle APA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rexbanner

Reaction score
Anyone ever make an APA with all pils? I'm doing a partigyle and want to use pils to make a quadrupel, and the last 2/3 of the wort to make an APA. I'll be mashing low at 149 for the quadrupel, so the beer will need some body. I was thinking something like this:

A main mash of 10 lbs pils. First 1/3 are collected for the quadrupel, then crystal malts are added to the mash and allowed to steep before collecting the second 2/3 for the APA.

Pale Ale:

Recipe: Thunder
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 3.50 gal
Boil Size: 4.01 gal
Estimated OG: 1.046 SG
Estimated Color: 6.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 32.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 83.3 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 8.3 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 8.3 %
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50%] (60 min) (First Wort Hop)Hops 32.5 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50%] (0 min) Hops -
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50%] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -

Sound good? Any suggestions? What will an all pils APA taste like? I put a lot of carapils in the APA to make up for the low mash temp and low gravity. I have a choice between US-05 and WLP002 for the APA...I'm not sure which to use. Thanks for any help.

I'm interested to hear your results. Just started AG (lovin it!) and am looking to experiment with grains & hops & (eventually) yeasts in unorthodox combinations as well.

Are you Keeping your hop selection all-Cascade in order to isolate the Pils flavor? If not, I'd suggest adding a combo of Simcoe or Amarillo--love the way those play together!

Also, (possible noob error here) is it necessary to boil pils 90 mins or is that a different grain?

Regardless, please post results!

"All your home brew are belong to us!"

I'm interested to hear your results. Just started AG (lovin it!) and am looking to experiment with grains & hops & (eventually) yeasts in unorthodox combinations as well.

Are you Keeping your hop selection all-Cascade in order to isolate the Pils flavor? If not, I'd suggest adding a combo of Simcoe or Amarillo--love the way those play together!

Also, (possible noob error here) is it necessary to boil pils 90 mins or is that a different grain?

Regardless, please post results!

"All your home brew are belong to us!"

I definitely will keep you posted. I know with a low mash temp and pils it's recommended to boil 90 mins to drive off DMS. I picked all cascade because I grow cascade and I'd like to have a good house pale ale. Next time I'll try simcoe and amarillo.

I'm also really interested in trying WLP002 on an APA. It clears so fast and I love the fruit flavor. I'm not sure how it will blend with citruisy hops but I'm very curious.

Back