What grains produce Red Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer_Guy

Reaction score
I am planning a Raspberry Wheat and have a simple question.

The idea is to have a very slight raspberry flavor AND a slight red tint in color.

How much and what kind of dark steeping grain can I use to achieve a nice red tint?
I was thinking about doing a cold steep with a little Chocolate grains or Crystal 40L.

Here is what I have so far.
-----------------------------------------
6 lbs. wheat LME
1/2 lb. wheat malt grain
1/2 lb. two-row pale malt grain
1/4 lb. crystal 10L malt grain
1/4 lb. Flaked wheat
1 oz. USA Northern Brewer Leaf Hops (bitter) 60 min
0.25 oz. US Tettnanger Pellet Hops (Flavor) 15 min
0.25 oz. Kent Goldings Leaf Hops (Aroma) 5 min
Yeast: WLP001 California Ale

Added to secondary/clarifier jug:
1 lb Cotton Blossom Honey (It has NO floral aroma.)
1 Tablespoon Organic Raspberry Spread
Yeast for bottling: 1/2 pack of Safale S-33

Hi Guy. If you want a red like an irish red ale, you can use just a tiny bit of roasted barley, steeped for just a couple of minutes - to extract color but not flavor.

Thanks Guys.

Since I already bought all the extract and grains, I may just have to add a little Chocolate grains to it. I think I will do a separate steep with 2oz of Chocolate and add it to the wort as needed to reach the color I want. It should be easy to do. I hope I can get red out of this combination. Like I said, I just want a hint of red to help the brain pick up the hint of Raspberry.

Pappers, I have some Chocolate on hand and hate to place an order for just a few ounces for this one brew. If I had known earlier I would have gotten some ordered and bagged separately. Thanks for the info though. Maybe next time.

Wish me luck, I’ll post results and update the recipe when I know more.

Weyermann CaraRed and Melanoidin will give you red also. I made a lite raspberry beer and the raspberry's gave it a little pink color on there own so it may not take much grain to get what you are looking for.

I recommend a small amount of Roasted Barley also. There are pros and cons to each approach.

Melanoidin and Munich malts must be mashed to get much use out of them. Also, if all you're after is color, you'll get flavor and malt-accentuating "other stuff" out of them.

Caramel/Crystal malts - including CaraMunich, CaraRed, Crystal of any Lovibond, etc. - add sweetness and body as well as color.

Chocolate malt and Roasted Barley add color even when relatively insignificant amounts are used - 2-4 ounces per five gallons - and don't add flavor in such small amounts. That's how I get a deep copper color - a pinch of Roasted Barley.

Cheers,

Bob

I think what I will do is brew the wheat beer and let it ferment. Then when I move to secondary add the raspberry spread and honey. If the color is not red enough then, I will brew up a small measured amount of Chocolate grains and add a little at a time until the color is what I want. Then figure out how much it took and update the recipe.

Thanks for all the input guys. I’ll update it when I have a known amount.

Latest posts

Back