Bell's Amber?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Bob is drinking a Bell's Amber Ale at this moment, and decided that WE must clone it.

Anybody have any clues on what might be a good clone? It's not sweet, and it does have a hops presence. The aroma seems to have a yeast bite, so I doubt I could get the yeast. But I do detect some citrusy hops aroma.

I'm guessing cascade and/or centennial hops. No dark crystal, but some lighter crystal along with some pale base malt. I am guessing 35-40 IBUs from the taste.

Anybody want to help me take a stab at this?

Here's my first thought:

8 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 66.67 %
2 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 16.67 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 8.33 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 8.33 %

1.50 oz Williamette [4.80 %] (60 min) Hops 24.4 IBU
1.00 oz Williamette [4.80 %] (10 min) Hops 5.9 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (5 min) Hops 1.8 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (1 min) Hops 0.4 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [4.80 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops

I'm afraid I won't be any help on the recipe but I am harvesting some of Bell's yeast from the dregs of a few bottles of 2 Hearted Ale right now. Should take until the beginning of the week for me to grow up a usable amount, if you need some PM me your address and I'll ship some slurry to you when it's done.

I'm afraid I won't be any help on the recipe but I am harvesting some of Bell's yeast from the dregs of a few bottles of 2 Hearted Ale right now. Should take until the beginning of the week for me to grow up a usable amount, if you need some PM me your address and I'll ship some slurry to you when it's done.

I appreciate the offer, but it's so darn cold now that I don't trust the UPS or USPS not to deliver frozen yeast. Thanks, but I'll probably have to pass.

I thought that just pitching Wyeast 1056, WLP001, or even a dry S05 might get me to a similar "clean" yeast flavor. I've heard rumors that Bell's uses WLP001 for all of their beers, but can't prove it.

I've been told that it's a "mutated" chico strain, so the above would be your best bet. If you change your mind, just let me know. I'm going to be doing a 2 Hearted Clone in a few weeks so I decided to go with the "real deal".

Here's my first thought:

8 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 66.67 %
2 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 16.67 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 8.33 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 8.33 %

1.50 oz Williamette [4.80 %] (60 min) Hops 24.4 IBU
1.00 oz Williamette [4.80 %] (10 min) Hops 5.9 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (5 min) Hops 1.8 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (1 min) Hops 0.4 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [4.80 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops

Haven't had Bell's amber (don't get Bell's in AZ :() - but I really like the looks of this!

Any change I would make would be really minor (and likely nearly insiginificant) such as adding a touch (1-2 oz.) of roasted barley (for color), and maybe 0.5 lb each of 60L and 80L rather than a pound of 80L

A like the hop schedule! It's nearly inverted from that of my haus amber:
1.5 oz Cascade @ 60 minutes
0.5 oz Cascade @ 15 minutes
0.5 oz Willamette @ 15 minutes
0.5 oz Cascade @ 5 minutes
0.5 oz Willamette @ 5 minutes

I am drinking a Bell's amber right now myself. My bottles definitely have some yeast that I would attempt to harvest and use.

Do you perceive some slight esters in this too, or is it me?

I think your grist looks like a good starting point. Hops, I have no helpful input.

Good luck.

I am drinking a Bell's amber right now myself. My bottles definitely have some yeast that I would attempt to harvest and use.

Do you perceive some slight esters in this too, or is it me?

I think your grist looks like a good starting point. Hops, I have no helpful input.

Good luck.

I did get some esters- very slight though. I think the dominant flavor was an earthy citrusy, with some malt sweetness. I don't have fuggles, so I thought willamette would be closest, along with the cascade.

I'll brew this up next, on my "new" rig. I have no idea what my efficiency will be, or how long it'll take me to chill, so it'll be a learning experience all around!

Latest posts

Back