Saxophone Solos

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgln

Reaction score
Bruce Springsteen is in town and although I really only care for his first few albums and only listen to him when listening to the radio but they just played "Jungleland" and I have to say that is one of my favorite sax solos. Not complex, just something very special about it. I love saxophone solos. Anyone have their favorites? Some others I may enjoy? Pink Floyd has some good ones too. Odd thing is I am not a fan of Jazz. NRBQ has a great short sax solo on one of their songs but I am not sure of the name. "Breathless" maybe? If anyone knows the song is that a baritone sax? I love the way it goes all the way from very low notes to the very highest.

Clarence Clemens is a very cool dude, but sometimes his style just doesn't do it for me. I'm not into jazz at all either, but I sure like a good sax solo too. I like the sax solo on Foreigner's "Urgent". Simple, but nice.

This led me to YoUTube where of course some Kenny G was brought up. is that guy serious!! His videos would serve as a parody of himself on SNL!

I was just going to post a link to "Baker Street", but this site is much more comprehensive.

That was pretty much a list of most songs I don't like, sadly they had sax solos in them. :confused:

:D

I guess the Jungleland solo is more my taste. Odd that was not on the list.

I wouldn't say there's a particular solo that stands out, but if you like sax but don't like straight-up jazz you should check out Morphine.

Off topic but that is a pretty cool band if you never heard them before, I think it is an acquired taste though and may take some time to warm up to. Released their first album in 78 and their music if often tongue in cheek and the loose bar band style. They are kind of an eclectic band but definitely not anything close to hard rock. Some songs I love, some I hate. I would recommend their first album for a first time listener, "At Yankee Stadium", but it is a studio album.

All I found on you tube was this:

Pretty cool but no sax.

Might be hard to find on Youtube. Buddy Rich is a drummer, so most of the searches come up with his drum solos. The original recorded version has an awesome sax solo. I'll see if I can track it down.

Off topic but that is a pretty cool band if you never heard them before, I think it is an acquired taste though and may take some time to warm up to. Released their first album in 78 and their music if often tongue in cheek and the loose bar band style. They are kind of an eclectic band but definitely not anything close to hard rock. Some songs I love, some I hate. I would recommend their first album for a first time listener, "At Yankee Stadium", but it is a studio album.

OOPS!

I somehow cut out the first line so here it goes!

The NRBQ song with the neat sax solo is called "Mouthwatern'" on "God Save Us All.

Might be hard to find on Youtube. Buddy Rich is a drummer, so most of the searches come up with his drum solos. The original recorded version has an awesome sax solo. I'll see if I can track it down.

Yeah, I know who he is. I remember as a kid seeing him on the tonight show with Johnny Carson.

Wow, just wanted to see how old you are being a Buddy Rich fan I notice you were born about the same time he died.

Dexter Gordon takes a solo on Herbie Hancock's "Watermelon Man" that kicks ass. (Takin' Off, Blue Note Records)

Never was a big Coltrane fan. Especially when he plays soprano. You know who else plays sissy-phone? (soprano sax) Kenny G.

Dexter Gordon takes a solo on Herbie Hancock's "Watermelon Man" that kicks ass. (Takin' Off, Blue Note Records)

Never was a big Coltrane fan. Especially when he plays soprano. You know who else plays sissy-phone? (soprano sax) Kenny G.

Found it on you tube, I like they way it started and ended and the middle was nice too but really reminded me of the theme song for Barney Miller. I even checked to see if he wrote it but no.

If we're talking non-Jazz sax solos then I go for Bobby Keys on The Rolling Stones "Can't You Hear Me Knockin'".

By the way, imho, Coltrane and Kenny G. should not be on the same page, let alone sentence.

So the idea is non-jazz saxophone solos? Hmmm... that's a tough one, since mostly when sax players play on rock albums they go for some cheesy-ass **** (IMO, of course. YMMV). But, yes, Bobby Keys on "Can't You Hear Me Knockin'" is a good place to go. I'd also recommend Steve Mackay on The Stooges "Fun House" record. That one'll peel some paint off the walls.

Also Phil Woods (a great jazz player) plays a decent solo on Billy Joel's "Just the Way You Are." Don't know how close to jazz you're willing to get, but of course there are a ton of great sax solos on funk records - Maceo Parker pretty much always slays it with James Brown or on his own; Lenny Picket burns on a bunch of Tower of Power albums, etc.

Now if you're looking for great jazz sax solos, some of my all-time favorites are:
Sonny Rollins playing "St. Thomas"
Trane playing "Afro Blue" from Live at Birdland
Charlie Parker playing anything (but "Ornithology" or "Confirmation" are both good starting points)
Wayne Shorter all throughout Miles' "Live at the Plugged Nickel"

damn, I could go on forever with that list. Gotta be careful not to jack the thread.

Found it on you tube, I like they way it started and ended and the middle was nice too but really reminded me of the theme song for Barney Miller. I even checked to see if he wrote it but no.

Barney Miller? Seriously? You must have listened to a different version.

Wow, just wanted to see how old you are being a Buddy Rich fan I notice you were born about the same time he died.

What can I say, I like good music.

Just found it on youtube. Sounds like they cut out one of Buddy's solos around 8:08 though. Still, a great song, and my favorite drummer, second to Steve Gadd.

The first slow solo is around 2:50 and continues off and on until 5:00. They kick it up a notch around 5:15 on a sax only solo until around 6:45.

Almost half of the second part of this live version is the sax solo too

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha, don't know why I didn't think about this. How about Jeff Coffin of Bela Fleck? I saw him play in a small bar in downtown Greenville with Jeff Sipe. There were about 30 people there. He did things on the saxophone I didn't think were possible. Between Sipe and Coffin, I had my mind blown that night.

Barney Miller? Seriously? You must have listened to a different version.

Ok, I found the one you are talking about but for some reason this one has the same title but appears to be an entirely different song.

If we're talking non-Jazz sax solos then I go for Bobby Keys on The Rolling Stones "Can't You Hear Me Knockin'".

My first thought was Mel Collins' solo in The Stones "Miss You"

They sure got a lot of great sax players to guest on their songs including Bobby Keys on "Brown Sugar" and Sonny Rollins on "Waiting On A Friend"...

Steely Dan is in the same vein - hire the best guys in the biz to guest on your songs.

Dick Parry's work with Pink Floyd is top notch: "Money" and "Us and Them" from DSOTM, and he's all over the "Wish You Were Here" album.

David Bowie plays a little sax himself, but he got David Sanborn to play the unforgettable solo on "Young Americans".

Ha, don't know why I didn't think about this. How about Jeff Coffin of Bela Fleck? I saw him play in a small bar in downtown Greenville with Jeff Sipe. There were about 30 people there. He did things on the saxophone I didn't think were possible. Between Sipe and Coffin, I had my mind blown that night.

Sipe and Coffin are both total badasses! I've seen (and recorded) each of them perform in a couple different bands but never together.

I did not know that Sanborn played on Young Americans, makes sense though, that's some nice playing.

What can I say, I like good music.

Just found it on youtube. Sounds like they cut out one of Buddy's solos around 8:08 though. Still, a great song, and my favorite drummer, second to Steve Gadd.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K05IRGCPksA&feature=player_embedded

The first slow solo is around 2:50 and continues off and on until 5:00. They kick it up a notch around 5:15 on a sax only solo until around 6:45.

Almost half of the second part of this live version is the sax solo too
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dzR3ZWOe8Y&feature=related

Just got chance to listen to a bit of that, it is nice. I will need to take time and listen to the whole thing. The bit of sax I heard was slow long notes which I prefer to some of the quick repetive stuff on some jazz records I have heard. Not knocking jazz just not a big fan (yet) especially the inprov stuff. But then again not being a fan my exposure is limited.

I saw Saborn in '83 on the first show of a 4 concert tour where he recorded the album "Straight to the heart"

Even if you don't like jazz, Sanborn and Hiram Bullock (RIP) rocked back then

Ed, totally agree, Jeff Coffin is the man on sax. All the flecktones are amazing, although as a bass player, Wooten drew me to the band first.

For non-Jazz sax, I personally really like Colin Stetson on Tom Waits' Alice. Some earlier Waits stuff has good sax as well, although maybe that counts as Jazz.

Dire Straits - Your Greatest Trick - intro and exit - Awesome, soulful, sax.

Intro to Morning Dance - Spyrogyra - also very cool ---oops, wait, that is jazz...

I LOVE jazz sax!

Kenny G isn't over-rated, he's extremely talented - he was over PLAYED!
Sanborn kicks ass, as does Koz...

There's actually a Janis Ian Album from the late 70's/early 80's that Clarence does the sax on. Night Rains is the album, and I think he does nearly every cut, but the song "Fly too high" from the first note, it's nearly all him. He's awesome on there.

Back