Funky Tripel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s3n8

Reaction score
Planning on brewing this one up tomorrow AM. I would appreciate any guidance from the gurus, especially with the funk.

Here is the recipe:

1 lbs Lyle's Golden Syrup
14 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Bel
1 lbs White Wheat Malt
8.0 oz Biscuit Malt
8.0 oz Carafoam
1.00 oz Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] (60 min) Hops 15.2 IBU
1.00 oz Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] (15 min) Hops 7.5 IBU
1.10 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min)
.5 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 15 min)
1 Pkgs Belgian Ale (Wyeast Labs #1214) Yeast-Ale

Est Original Gravity: 1.086 SG
Bitterness: 22.7 IBU

Double Batch Sparge - No Mash out
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
90 min Dough In Add 20.00 qt of water at 165.1 F 153.0 F
10 min Sparge 1 Add 11.43 qt of water at 183.0 F 163.0 F
10 min Sparge2 Add 11.43 qt of water at 183.0 F 168.0 F

Current plan is to pitch the 1214 (no starter) and allow that to ferment about 2 - 3 weeks until most of the yeast drops out, then rack to secondary and pitch a packet of Wyeast Brett-C to finish the job. I am mashing a little higher, and not making a starter on purpose. I want this brew to have some funk, so I want something for the Brett to eat. I have never used Brett before (roeselare blend count?). Is this the correct procedure? Anyone have a better idea? Should I get a malta goya starter on the stirplate for either the 1214 or Brett?

I will definitely be hitting it with o2, always do.

As far as the starter, I smacked last night, and the pack was not swolen one bit this morning. I am never mail ordering yeast again. This is two in a row. Looks like I am going to spend the 2 hours round trip going to my "LHBS" this afternoon.

Mid sparge right now, so I don't really have much choice.

i use 1214 fairly often and it seems to be the rare case that it swells much if at all. still, never had a problem with it doing what it needs to do. in short, i wouldn't worry about it.

i use 1214 fairly often and it seems to be the rare case that it swells much if at all. still, never had a problem with it doing what it needs to do. in short, i wouldn't worry about it.

I ordered this online a couple months ago, and the other pack proved a dud too. I think it sat in a hot truck too long.

I made a starter with it this morning and put it on the stirplate. In the meantime, I went to the lhbs, smacked the pack in the lot, and putched it when I got home. It was swelling quite a bit, I am confident it will work. The starter shows no signs of activity, I think I will let it go just to see... Maybe if it does take off, I will just have to brew again on Sunday :).

So... All you funky beer experts. What is the general consensus for when to pitch Brett? Wyeast says best results when primary has already started. Should I pitch at high krausen? Secondary? How much headspace will I need if I pitch in secondary?

Starter never took off, so I am glad I went to the HBS, as that one took off in about 36 hours. Krausen dropped prior to me returning home from the weekend away, so I pitched the Wyeast 5151. Once I give the Brett a day to get acquainted with its new home, I will put the lyles in.

Back