Please do review my recipe...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timgman

Reaction score
3# lbs light dme
3# wheat dme
1.5 oz wilamette at 45 mins
.5 wilamette at 15 mins
dry ale yeast
primary 1 - 2 weeks
add 2 cans oregon blackberry or straberry to primary 1-2 weeks
secondary for clearing

Anything seem bad here? I'm not so certain about the hop selection or value..
I wan to let the fruit shine through but also want a bit of dry / bitter bite...
not champagne dry & fruity.. more like..
The back of the tongue mouthy bite...

+1 on fruit in the secondary.

Otherwise looks good to me.

Depending on how wheaty you want it, I might go with 6 lb wheat DME, and drop the light DME. Wheat extract is already a mixture of malted wheat and barley (typically between 50/50 and 60/40 ratio) so you can use it for 100% of a wheat beer. But the recipe as you have it will work fine, too, just not so wheaty.

I was just thinking that I'd get a more clear beer...

so maybe I'll do the fruit in secondary.. I wanted a lighter wheaty-blend...
are the hops good? what ibu might this be?
thanks to all of you for your help.
tim

how big are those cans? If those cans are huge they might be a little much for the beer as far as balance goes.

so maybe I'll do the fruit in secondary.. I wanted a lighter wheaty-blend...
are the hops good? what ibu might this be?
thanks to all of you for your help.
tim

If you want it to be more clear after you add the fruit, you can always do a tertiary for a few days. Fruit makes a mess, and if you add it to primary, the yeast is just going to go crazy on all that sugar.

As for IBUs, there are plenty of calculators online. Also, try getting a program like beersmith or promash or something. Enter your recipe and you'll get exact numbers.

Back