"Sexism for Brewster" News Article

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Balls", said the Queen "if I had them I'd be King."

Seriously that is some huge BS. Unless it was advertised as a "men only" event but it does not sound that way to me. (There are women only clubs/comps here in the states.)

Wow.
I mean, this is 2012, right? And what is this about possibly having a segregated competition? Just plain weird.
If I were her, I'd have no qualms about making a formal complaint so that my brew could be judged with the other brews.
Hopefully, another 'brewster' won't have any problems making the complaint.

It's New Zealand. They don't have to follow American laws there.;)

Doesn't sound very nice but I don't know the culture or the history.

Wow.
I mean, this is 2012, right? And what is this about possibly having a segregated competition? Just plain weird.
If I were her, I'd have no qualms about making a formal complaint so that my brew could be judged with the other brews.
Hopefully, another 'brewster' won't have any problems making the complaint.

Check out the: Pink Boots Society Pink Boots Society Home They have women only comps, I am pretty sure or I have heard of them before...

It's New Zealand.

Hey now, these people are on top of stuff. They have "The Shire" from LOTR and they are the only country to recognize Jedi as an official religion... Yes, they have a "Jedi Temple" there. Clearly these people are good decision makers...

Zamial said:
Check out the: Pink Boots Society Pink Boots Society Home They have women only comps, I am pretty sure or I have heard of them before...

Yeah, I'll go check that out.
But I don't see the point of segregating a beer competition by sex. I've never entered a competition before...do you have to say what sex you are? I really just don't see why it should matter.

Yeah, I'll go check that out.
But I don't see the point of segregating a beer competition by sex. I've never entered a competition before...do you have to say what sex you are? I really just don't see why it should matter.

I agree. I am pretty sure it is done by the Pink Boots...I could be WAY WRONG. I figured since you have a few posts you may not know about them.

Personally, if I was a brewer in that comp it would bug the #$^&@ out of not knowing if her beer would have beaten mine and if it did, I would not have been upset at all. BTW I think the odds of that comp being "men only" is about the same as me winning the Lottery...

What an awkward situation. What's even weirder is that it wasn't just some archaic rule they didn't know about; it was something they were willing to still stand by. I looked up this "Lake Hayes A&P Show" and the A&P part stands for "Agricultural and Pastoral Associations"...hardly something that screams "men only" like a men's club, elks lodge (which isn't men only anymore either)...

I bet the "bad ass" blokes were just worried about getting whooped by a bird.

Back