mead in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Long

Reaction score
I had a gallon of mead in the primary for 2 months, I've since separated the mead into two 1/2 gallon growlers. One growler is mildly fermenting and another is visibly stagnant.

What would have caused this? I'm thinking the yeast at the bottom of the primary was siphoned into the active growler. The inactive growler must have been siphoned first, filling from the top half of the primary.

What should I do in the future?

Thanks!

It's fine. Probably not actually fermenting....But more Off Gassing and minor "Fizzing" from some yeast or whatever. I wouldn't worry about it at all. They will both be good as long as your cleaning procedure was good.

It's fine. Probably not actually fermenting....But more Off Gassing and minor "Fizzing" from some yeast or whatever. I wouldn't worry about it at all. They will both be good as long as your cleaning procedure was good.

as stated above you should be fine, and if it is a litte more fermetation it may have been activated if you aerated it a bit and if you pulled some yeast in with it. either way in a couple months let us know how it is.

Back