who buys this crap!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW! Inever need to buy petrol again! What a bargain @ $50!

This reminds me of the "Solar Powered Clother Dryer" scam of the late 70's. Only $29.95...and you get a length of rope to make your own clothesline and a few clothes pins.

Even if it did work on gasoline engines, I don't understand how it can work on Diesel engines as well?

What you're paying for are the instructions and supplies list to convert your car with...;)

I've read testimonials, but who knows if they're real or not.

I won't be convinced until I see/know someone who's car does it. ;):rockin:

The science is actually spot-on! Check it........

Take H2O. Convert to HHO. Convert HHO to H20 + energy.

Simple chemistry!

:rockin:

(Making that antimatter chamber is the hard part. The conversion of dark energy is a beeotch.)

It's water injection. Simple technology, totally viable, and it's been around for awhile.

Basically, what you do is inject water into your cylinders along with the air/fuel mix. the water vaporizes and creates steam. The steam expands, adding power. It also keeps your cylinder temps lower.

The downsides include having to fill both tanks, deposits that will form from impure water, and, well, it's one more thing that can go wrong.

I don't know that a 40% increase in power is doable, but I know folks get a very nice bump in hp from properly-tuned setups of this type.

It looks to me like they're using some of the power of the engine to split water into hydrogen and oxygen. You then inject that into the intake manifold to increase horsepower. Problem is that water is at a lower state than the individual hydrogen and oxygen making it, so you need to inject more energy into splitting the elements then there is available to use.

It looks to me like they're using some of the power of the engine to split water into hydrogen and oxygen. You then inject that into the intake manifold to increase horsepower. Problem is that water is at a lower state than the individual hydrogen and oxygen making it, so you need to inject more energy into splitting the elements then there is available to use.

I really don't think that that is what they are doing or selling... because I don't think it's feasible.

Water injection. Pure and simple.

I really don't think that that is what they are doing or selling... because I don't think it's feasible.

That was my point. Here's a quote from the site:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Our easy conversion guide will show you how to use electricity from your car's battery to separate water into a gas called HHO (2 Hydrogen + 1 Oxygen). HHO, also called Brown's Gas or Hydroxy, burns smoothly and provides significant energy - while the end product is just H2O! HHO provides the atomic power of Hydrogen, while maintaining the stability of water.[/FONT]

I'll throw in my 2 cents worth- supposedly, they have developed some kind of 'water splitter'. What this 'will' do is break the water molecule into it's components- 2 hydrogen and 1 oxygen. They 'attempt' to burn the hydrogen and emit the gas as oxygen and water vapor. If you go here, they will attempt to explain some of it, even though it doesn't seem too plausible. It does seem like a bunch of crap though!

The thing is, when elemental oxygen meets hydrogen, it forms water and RELEASES energy. So in order to split them apart again, you have to ADD energy. So if the same system that is adding energy is the system using the oxygen and hydrogen for fuel, it will experience a net loss of energy. The only energy you will recoup is that expended when the materials rejoin to produce... water again. So you're basically talking about a perpetual motion machine if you get any useful work out of it.

At HBT we OBEY the laws of thermodynamics.

it will experience a net loss of energy

.a perpetual motion machine

Right - it works and at a net loss. The welding store that I get hy/oxy welding supplies and CO2 for my kegs sells the small welder version in the video. The trick is, you run it on water but you plug it into the wall to make it work. You get a very hot flame, but at the cost of the energy to run the contraption. If somebody could balance the creation/expendature ratio with turbines, it would be a novel ,although unfeasible alternative.

But at least it's not total bullsh!t.

This looks like high octane hooey to me, but there is something similar which (IMHO) has a lot of potential.

At the Schatz Energy Research Center at Humboldt State University in California (my alma mater) they're working on projects which use solar electricity to split water into hydrogen and oxygen (one gas comes off the anode and the other comes off the cathode). You capture the hydrogen and use it in a fuel cell where it recombines with water to produce energy (and water). No laws of thermodynamics are broken -- your losses are in the solar->electricity and the fuel cell.

The main advantage of this approach is that it is a relatively clean way to store solar energy in the form of hydrogen gas so that it can be used at times and in places where the sun is not shining. The main obstacle is that hydrogen is so darn explosive and therefore difficult to store or distribute.

hydrogen is so darn explosive and therefore difficult to store or distribute.

Yes - the first 10 car pile up on the freeway and there will be a grassroots organization trying to ban them.

But, my understanding is that there isn't storage capability - just a working converter creating gas as it is burned.

Damn straight it's dangerous. Dihydrogen monoxide can dissolve steel! And small wonder. It's a major component of acid rain.

The main obstacle is that hydrogen is so darn explosive and therefore difficult to store or distribute.

According to google

google said:
At room temperature and atmospheric pressure, palladium can absorb up to 900 times its own volume of hydrogen. This process is reversible. This property has been investigated because hydrogen storage is of such interest and a better understanding of what happens at the molecular level could give clues to designing improved metal hydrides. A palladium based store would be however prohibitively expensive due to the cost of the metal.[1] Palladium electrodes have been used in some cold fusion experiments, under the hypothesis that the hydrogen could be "squeezed" between the palladium atoms to help them fuse at lower temperatures than would otherwise be required. No cold fusion experiments have achieved conclusive positive results, however, and the theoretical ability of palladium to accomplish this is in dispute.

uhmmm, so yeah I agree it is difficult. There does seem do be some potential solutions, theoretically at least.

edit = I just realized that my wedding ring is 5% palladium, I wonder how much power my it wields?

Yea, next thing you know they will tell us that you can split the atom, or fly something heavier than air, or send a nuclear powered probe to Jupiter, or send a man to the moon and bring him back.

ok....am I the only one waiting for the chick on the website to start stripping?

The main obstacle is that hydrogen is so darn explosive and therefore difficult to store or distribute.
Hydrogen is not explosive until you mix it with O2. But because H2 is so light if you have a gas leak it very quickly disperses making ignition very difficult. You can't get O2 into the storage tank because the H2 is stored under pressure.

The real problem is that H2 is an extremely light. This means it is very difficult to store a reasonable amount of the gas in a portable container. Even at 4000psi a pressurized container sized like a fuel tank would only hold a few pounds of H2 while gasoline is nearly 8 pounds per gallon of fuel. Then ofcourse storing a gas (any gas) at those kinds of pressures can be dangerous.

I did read about a development where they were experimenting with injecting H2 into the combustion chamber of long haul trucks to improve the efficiencies of the engines. I think they planned to create the H2 using electrolysis. Apparently the improvement in efficiency more than made up for the energy cost of the electrolysis.

Craig

Craig

Back