Temperature Control Device and Freezers...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLinNH

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I bought an analog temperature Controller from Northern Brewer a while back. After reading about the controller here, I am not comfortable using it for Fermentation temps. a 3 degree variance is to much for me. So, which Temperature Controller would you recommend for a Chest Typer Freezer?

And about Freezers. Will they hold a temp of 65 degrees? I mean, they are meant for keeping things frozen. What happens to them when they are not working for what they are meant to be used for? Reason I ask is that I will be buying SOMETHING to primary Ferment in and Lager in. It's a toss up between a Chest Freezer or a Refridgerator. Chest Freezer I like better because of more usable room without having to add racks for a second Carboy, like I would have to do with a refridgerator. But the Fereezer and the higher temps worry me. Any comments?

No big deal using a freezer. The internal thermostat will always try running the compressor but the external controller breaks the circuit. When it need to cool, it will run. The cycle is just a little shorter for keeping warmer temps.

I have two Ranco 111000. I like being able to use them for heating or cooling and you can set the deadband down to 1 degree.

3* is just fine as the liquid will cool and warm much slower than the surrounding air. By having too narrow a deadband it's possible that the compressor will have a shorter lifespan because of the constant cycling.

MikeInCtown said:
3* is just fine as the liquid will cool and warm much slower than the surrounding air. By having too narrow a deadband it's possible that the compressor will have a shorter lifespan because of the constant cycling.

exarcly! There are many other things to worry about than a 3º swing in ambient temps.

Evan! said:
exarcly! There are many other things to worry about than a 3º swing in ambient temps.

After having no temp control in Tx for the longest time, I'm giddy as a schoolgirl with the 3deg swing.

(2) Ranco ETC 111000's. Very satisfied.
Adjustable variance down to 1', heat or cool, digital display, easy to operate.
Available on Ebay for about $50 w/ s&h.
I'll probably buy a 211000, (heat and cool) if I decide to move my ferm chamber out to the garage next year.

I bought one of those Ranco's and have it set to a 3 degree variance. I currently have it set for 65F with a 3 degree variance so it kicks on when the temp reaches 68F, then I guess because of the cooling lines when the switch kicks off the freezer temp goes as low as 62F. It doesn't matter though, with this setting my beer stays at a permanent 66F which is just where I want it.

What does everyone do for heating during colder months? I need to get my carboys out of my living room and into my garage, but since i live in michigan, i have more months that I would need to heat up to the Mid-60's versus needing to cool down. Assuming i have a chest freezer and a controller, is it wired to some kind of heating system (light bulb, ceramic bulb, etc..) and kick on when it needs heat?

comj49 said:
What does everyone do for heating during colder months? I need to get my carboys out of my living room and into my garage, but since i live in michigan, i have more months that I would need to heat up to the Mid-60's versus needing to cool down. Assuming i have a chest freezer and a controller, is it wired to some kind of heating system (light bulb, ceramic bulb, etc..) and kick on when it needs heat?

I use a 25w light bulb in the freezer.

I don't bother hooking the bulb up to the controller. Instead, I leave the light bulb on and when it gets too warm in the freezer the controller turns the freezer on to cool back down. Since winters are much colder in MI than in NC (I was born and raised in Lansing), you probably want to consider hooking the bulb up to your controller like you mentioned in your post.

Back